Monday, April 1, 2013

Beta

Beta (Annex, #1)
Title: Beta
Author: Rachel Cohn
Genre: YA, Sci-Fi, Romance
Warnings: Deals with Drug use. (fake Drug called Raxia that the island kids use) Rape
Series: Beta
Rating: Horse
Recommended to older YA audience

Yesterday I was sitting around bored and then I had this crazy idea. I thought to myself, I should pick up my kindle and read one of the like hundreds of books I haven't gotten around to reading. So I went scrolling through all of my books and stopped on this, Beta. I thought, OOOOHHHH PRETTY COVER. Then I was like wait a sec didn't I buy this as the amazon kindle daily deal? Then I was like OMG that means its gotta be good because Amazon is so awesome!! So then I picked up this book and began to read.
THE PREMISE
Elysia has been cloned. In order to be cloned the body you are being cloned from must have died within the past 48 hours. Interesting right? Wait it gets better. Elysia must work on this paradise island where she is practically a slave. She now has a "brother" and a "sister" and basically a fake family. Wait I forgot to mention these clones have no feelings. So this book sounds pretty good right?
THE PROS
1. Elysia's development. I love a book that has great character development. At the beginning Elysia is nothing more than a feelingless robot, but at the end, she has feelings!! YAY.
2. The concept. Ummmm, like isn't the whole I am a clone without feelings, but maybe I'm now a defect, FASCINATING?
3. Elysia's flashbacks. Who doesn't love a good mystery! Although I had so known who her mysterious guy was the second they mentioned him.
4. The ending! DID NOT see that coming. I love when I am totally shocked by an ending, though looking back should I have suspected that twist. HMMMMMMMM
THE CONS
1. Tahir. Dude. I. HATE. YOU. Not even kidding, throughout the book I was like OMG I want to punch this fictional person in the head and I don't even know why.
2. The ending. I hate cliff hangers.... They make me MAD!!
3. Ivan. Really....I can't talk about this. :'(
4. The whole book felt a bit rushed and I didn't really feel a connection to the characters like I do in other books.
OVERALL
So this book is interesting. In no way did I think it was absolutely bad,......BUT there were things where I was like really, you're really going there? You've got to be kidding me. Soooooo,
WOULD I READ THIS BOOK: MAYBE, depends on my mood.
WOULD I BUY THIS BOOK: PROBABLY NOT, I'd get it from the library.
WOULD I RECOMMEND THIS BOOK: NO, I DON'T THINK SO
WOULD I READ THE NEXT BOOK: UMMMMM. HELLO, CLIFFHANGER?... OF COURSE I'LL READ THE NEXT ONE.
WOULD I READ OTHER BOOKS BY THIS AUTHOR: DEPENDS
****WOAH, I did not realize this is the same author that wrote Dash and Lily's Book of Dares! I liked that book! Now looking back I can kinda see the similarity in the writing style. So would I read other books by this author: YES!!****

HORSE=THREE STARS

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you leave a comment, about anything really, you will make my day, maybe even my week if it's a really great comment! =D Anyhow I will try to respond and if you have a blog, leave me the link! I would love to check it out!!