Tuesday, April 2, 2013

City of Bones


City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1)
 
Title: City of Bones
Author: Cassandra Clare
Genre: YA, Fantasy, Adventure, action
Series: Mortal Instruments
Rating: horse

I really wanted to like this book, but it just wasn't what I was hoping for. A lot of my friends at school are like this is an amazing book you should definitely read. And since I hate conforming to what my friends like (I know reading a book isn't like I'm a conformist, but still it bugs me) it took me forever to get around to reading the book. Soooo, Yeah. It wasn't great, it wasn't bad, it irked me. I have never really liked Cassandra Clare, to tell you the truth. I don't know her, but the whole Harry Potter fanfic plagiarism thing bothers me. I love Harry Potter and I didn't really read the fanfic, but a while ago I read a review and it mentioned it and I was like huh. Well anyways I digress, but I will come back to this later in my review. So here's the breakdown of the book.
THE PREMISE
In the pandemonium club where Clary and her friend Simon are, Clary witnesses a murder. Except there is way more to this murder than meets the eye, possibly because Clary is the only one who can see the victim and the attackers. So Simon (who I don't like) and the security guards (who I mildly disliked) think that she's crazy. Clary then gets into a fight with her mom and meets one of the attackers. His name is Jace. He is a shadow hunter. He is perfectly willing to tell her this, even though it is breaking the rules. Clary, Jace and company meet the bad guy with possibly the worst name in history of the bad guy universe. He is the dreaded Valentine. *Cue evil music*
THE PROS
1. The characters were mostly good. The usual, interesting back stories, the norm.
2. The concept. I liked the whole idea of Shadowhunters.
3. The follow through. Clare did have a really good story here, and it definitely held my attention. It just wasn't a one sit read.
THE CONS
1. Back to Valentine. Really the name come on there aren't any better names for the villain. How about lollipop or gumdrop. It would be an improvement.
2. The ending. Really.... It just seems obvious that it isn't true. I don't want to give a spoiler, but if you read the book then you know what I'm talking about. It seemed so illogical...
3. Simon. I just didn't like that guy. He made me mad with his this and that and when he was talking I was like, ohhhh, page skip!!
4. UMMMMMMM, Anyone else seeing the Harry Potter resemblance?? Like the circle reminds me of death eaters, Luke's a bit like Snape and Lupin. I'm not saying that she like intentionally copying HP, but a few things stood out a bit too much for my taste.
5. Jace and Dad. Even without knowing Jace's dad, it was disturbing. And interesting. I suppose.... I mean that relationship is twisted, but I get where Clare was going with the whole thing. Like abusive relationships still have love if the person is deluded into thinking that...
OVERALL
I don't hate Cassandra Clare's book, BUT I don't like it either. I think I went into this book slightly biased about the plagiarism. I don't want to dislike the book and author, but subconsciously I do.
WOULD I READ THIS BOOK: YEAH, it's a popular book with a movie coming out, so there's gonna be some hype and reading the book might help to determine if that said hype is well deserved.
WOULD I RECOMMEND THIS BOOK: NO, I would remain silent on the subject, BUT if someone asked me weather they should read it, I might say yes, but they would have to be direct.
WOULD I REREAD THIS BOOK: NO
WOULD I BUY THIS BOOK: DEPENDS on the price
WILL I READ THE NEXT BOOK: YEAH, I hate leaving a series unfinished.
WILL I WATCH THE MOVIE: PROBABLY NOT, its not really my my famliy's thing and I DO NOT want to go with my fangirl friends and definitely not alone...
AM I HEAD OVER HEELS IN LOVE WITH THIS BOOK: NO, it's okay, but not making my top reads shelf.

*EDIT* Just wanted to add one more thing. Everyone is talking about how awesome Jace is and how much they love him. Am I like the only person who thinks he's kind of creepy? Like I dunno, but I get a bad feeling about him.

HORSE=THREE STARS

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you leave a comment, about anything really, you will make my day, maybe even my week if it's a really great comment! =D Anyhow I will try to respond and if you have a blog, leave me the link! I would love to check it out!!