Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Embrace

Embrace (The Violet Eden Chapters, #1)Title: Embrace
Author: Jessica Shirvington
Genre: Fantasy, YA, adventure, Romance, Angels,
Content: Kissing, BLAH, BLAH (I skimmed over the second half)
Series: The Violet Eden Chapters #1
Rating: Owl
Recommended to 14 and up

So every Friday after I get home from school I find a book that I've been wanting to read for a while and pull an all nighter. Its been that way for the past couple of months where I've read books like Starters and Untraceable. So when I got home the other day I did some HW and then went to my digital library and saw this book available. I immediately checked it out and began to read. The beginning was pretty good and held my interest but from there it dropped. My main problem was Phoenix. Oh how I hated him with a burning passion. He not only made me hate him but Violet as well. Every scene with the two of them in it made me want to vomit in my mouth. He was gross and weird and I hate him!!!! So here's the book broken down.
THE PREMISE
It starts with a whisper: “It’s time for you to know who you are…”

Violet Eden dreads her seventeenth birthday. After all, it’s hard to get too excited about the day that marks the anniversary of your mother’s death. As if that wasn’t enough, disturbing dreams haunt her sleep and leave her with very real injuries. There’s a dark tattoo weaving its way up her arms that wasn’t there before.

Violet is determined to get some answers, but nothing could have prepared her for the truth. The guy she thought she could fall in love with has been keeping his identity a secret: he’s only half-human—oh, and same goes for her.

A centuries-old battle between fallen angels and the protectors of humanity has chosen its new warrior. It’s a fight Violet doesn’t want, but she lives her life by two rules: don’t run and don’t quit. When angels seek vengeance and humans are the warriors, you could do a lot worse than betting on Violet Eden…
(Summary from Goodreads)

THE PROS
1. Lincoln. I really liked him. Though it might have had something to do with his love of running! Linc was awesome!
2. I liked the author's writing style.
THE CONS
1. Phoenix was terrible as previously mentioned.
2. Violet began to bore me with all of her hate for Lincoln. I mean it was obvious the real reason she hated him.
3. the bad guys bored me. that is never a good sign.
4. When Violet and Phoenix were near each other.
5. the fact that Violet had an incident with her teacher when she was fourteen mentioned twice and then never mentioned again. which is surprising because you would have thought that it would have influenced her decisions.
6. It was obvious what was really going on.
OVERALL
I hate giving books bad reviews but I felt like this book deserved it. No I lied this book did not deserve such a negative review but my hate for Phoenix overruled logic.The fact that I went to bed at ten instead of two shows that I disliked him enough not to care about him. I am being harsh. The book had a great concept with many great characters and a nice plot. So in all
WOULD I BUY IT: NO (BORROWED FROM LIBRARY)
WOULD I RECOMMEND IT: NO
WOULD I READ THIS BOOK: NO
WILL I READ THE NEXT BOOK: NO (I'LL PROBABLY LOOK AT THE LAST PAGES IN THE LAST BOOK TO FIND OUT THE ENDING.)
WOULD I READ OTHER BOOKS BY THIS AUTHOR: YES SHE HAS A GREAT WRITING STYLE AND GREAT IDEAS WORTH READING IF THERE IS NO PHOENIX
AM I HEAD OVER HEELS IN LOVE WITH THIS BOOK: NO BECAUSE OF THE AWFUL PHOENIX
MY RATING: 2.5 I AM GIVING IT THE EXTRA HALF STAR BECAUSE I LIKE LINC.

BUTTERFLY=2.5 STARS

1 comment:

  1. This is just a question, really. I was wondering why at the top of the page it says rating is an owl, but at the bottom, a butterfly? Also, I'm really impressed by the way you provided links to each review. I'm sorry I only got around to visiting your blog now (you posted on mine almost a year ago - I know; it's inexcusable that it would take this long ;D). So if you could email me at one of the links provided on the home page of my book review blog, that'd be great!

    ReplyDelete

If you leave a comment, about anything really, you will make my day, maybe even my week if it's a really great comment! =D Anyhow I will try to respond and if you have a blog, leave me the link! I would love to check it out!!