Title: Innocent Darkness
Author: Suzanne Lazear
Genre: YA, Fantasy, Romance, Steampunk(not really), adventure
Series: The Aether Chronicles
Recommended for 14 and up
After finishing this book I went and got a bowl of Cheerios and thought long and hard about what I really thought about this book. When I first read the blurb, I was excited, I mean it's Steampunk! What kind of person doesn't like steampunk?! Then there were faeries, I was practically jumping up and down. On top of all that the cover is AMAZING and the heroine sounded capable and strong. But from there it went down-hill.
THE PREMISEWish. Love. Desire. Live.
Sixteen-year-old Noli Braddock's hoyden ways land her in an abusive reform school far from home. On mid-summer's eve she wishes to be anyplace but that dreadful school. A mysterious man from the Realm of Faerie rescues her and brings her to the Otherworld, only to reveal that she must be sacrificed, otherwise, the entire Otherworld civilization will perish.
(Summary from Goodreads)
1. I liked the beginning. It started off with a crash, literally. So that was definitely good.
2. I liked V. He was pretty awesome.
3. The concept. I LOVED what the author had going on. It started off pretty good.
4. The cover. I liked the cover, but it doesn't really seem to fit the book.
5. Noli's name. I just thought it was funny, but I liked it.
1. The Hunter. Okay his name is some thing that is like impossible to spell so I'm not gonna bother trying. I hated this dude. I mean seriously what is up with him being in the love triangle. (It kind of reminded me of the love thing in Shatter Me. With Warner being insanely evil and Adam being awesome! Except the hunter guy is creepy.)
2. Noli's school. Ummmm. I highly doubt that kind of torture was ever condoned. I mean it was pretty creepy and somehow it's supposed to be normal in this society. NOOOOO, it's supposed to seem kind of like 1901, right, but with that torture going on, it seemed way to Barbaric.
3. The Execution. So as I've said before I love the concept, but the author didn't do a very good execution of it. The Steampunk aspect just faded out and the Otherworld thing began to annoy me.
4. No twists. I could predict what was going to happen from the start. THAT IS ABSOLUTLY NO FUN!!
5. The ending. REALLY?! Come on that was just ridiculous. :O Grrrrr. It made me MAD!!
6. Noli cried A LOT and here I thought she was going to be strong! I got sick of her neediness by the end.
I wanted to like this book, and I did like parts of it. I think I thought that I was going to LOVE this book because I've never read bad steampunk. (ex. Leviathan, The Girl in the Steel Corset, Incarceron) So I think I was just expecting more. I kind of feels like false advertising because the description is of a steampunk book, when it's more of a fantasy.
WOULD I READ THIS BOOK: PERHAPS
WOULD I BUY THIS BOOK: NO, BUT I'D GET IT FROM A LIBRARY
WOULD I RECOMMEND THIS BOOK: DEPENDS, if the person is more into faeries than steampunk then yes.
WILL I READ THE NEXT BOOK: YES
WOULD I READ OTHER BOOKS BY THIS AUTHOR: YEAH, I THINK SO.