Saturday, April 27, 2013

Leviathan, Behemoth, and Goliath





Leviathan (Leviathan #1)Behemoth (Leviathan, #2)Goliath (Leviathan, #3)


Titles:      Leviathan                                          Behemoth                                   Goliath
                                                            Author: Scott Westerfeld
                                                          Illustrator: Kieth Thompson
                                   Genre: YA, Steampunk, WWI, Historical Fiction, Sci-Fi
                                                               Series: Leviathan
                                                       Recommended to: 10 and up

For the purpose of this review, I have chosen to combine all of this series in order to have the full potential to go into total fan mode and provide you with the shortest least rambley review possible.
THIS REVIEW IS SPOILER FREE

THE PREMISE (summary only for the first book)
Prince Aleksander, would-be heir to the Austro-Hungarian throne, is on the run. His own people have turned on him. His title is worthless. All he has is a battletorn war machine and a loyal crew of men.

Deryn Sharp is a commoner, disguised as a boy in the British Air Service. She's a brilliant airman. But her secret is in constant danger of being discovered.

With World War I brewing, Alek and Deryn's paths cross in the most unexpected way…taking them on a fantastical, around-the-world adventure that will change both their lives forever.

(Summary via Goodreads)

photo.JPG
THE PROS
1. Let me start off with one of the most important and beautiful parts of this series. The pictures.



photo.JPGphoto.JPG
I love the artwork!!! (Illustrated by Keith Thompson) And those are only a few of the pictures! There are so many more!!


2. The characters. Each and every one of these characters is unique and original. Whether it is Newkirk or Doctor Barlow, Volger or Alek and Deryn, they all have the ability to make me laugh. Each has a great personality.
3. The action and adventure. Reading a boring book...NOT FUN...Reading a book packed with adventure and action....AMAZING. Most of the scenes in this series are action packed, ranging from encounters with beasties to fighting submarines and walkers this book keeps you on the edge or your seat.
4. I never thought I would love steampunk. But after reading this series, I became obsessed. This book is unique in it's concept and I have never heard of anything similar. I mean really who could think of such an epic idea?
5. The concept. This concept of using animals and Machines in WWI is brilliant. And to add to it, the story is executed with perfection.
6. The setting. Throughout the series Alek and Deryn travel the world. They go practically everywhere and there are adventures where ever they go!
7. The descriptions. I love in depth stuff, so reading this I can picture EVERYTHING!
8. Alek and Deryn...I love these two. They are so epic and the ending was so insanely sweet. I cried....They are probably my all time favorite book couple. =D
THE CONS
1. Alek and Deryn can be a bit.....DENSE. Sometimes it was like, DO YOU HAVE A BRAIN?
OVERALL
What I feel for this series is probably the strongest I've felt about a series since Harry Potter. When Harry Potter finished I cried. When this series ended I cried. I normally never cry...EVER...(this shows the epicness of this series)I have to say this though. When I first read Leviathan I was twelve and I loved it. For the next two years I was eagerly anticipating the beginning of the school year! Not because I like school (quite the opposite) but because these books came at the beginning of October and then the next year in September. So I can say that this series is for younger kids. It is action packed exciting and just plain awesome. It was always the book I read at night when I couldn't fall asleep. The second book in this series was actually my first stay up until two in the morning read. (Such a bittersweet memory! I was exhausted the next day!) The memories I have of loving this book and my continued adoration for this series lead me to believe that this is the series for younger kids.(tweens if you will) or for those like me who are basically children, yet somehow manage to pass high school classes. So reading this, your probably not interested in my ramblings of my childhood that happened just a couple years ago, but I just wanted to try and show how much this book and the others in this series mean to me.
WOULD I READ THIS BOOK:YES!!
WOULD I RECOMMEND THIS BOOK: NO DOUBT ABOUT IT
WOULD I BUY THIS BOOK: IF I ONLY HAD TEN dollars left, I'd still buy the book.
WOULD I READ THE NEXT BOOK: YES!!!!!!!!!!!
WOULD IN READ OTHER BOOKS BY THIS AUTHOR: YES!!
AM I HEAD OVER HEELS IN LOVE WITH THIS BOOK:YES!!

OWL=FIVE STARS

This is one of the few series that I would consider giving above five stars. It is times like these when I regret giving so many books five stars because this one deserves more!

1 comment:

  1. Looking forward to finally starting this series and totally intrigued to get to the bits where I can tsk at the characters for being so dense :)
    Great review, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

If you leave a comment, about anything really, you will make my day, maybe even my week if it's a really great comment! =D Anyhow I will try to respond and if you have a blog, leave me the link! I would love to check it out!!