Monday, April 1, 2013

Matched

This is my first negative review on this blog. :'( 

Matched (Matched, #1)Title: Matched
Author: Allie Condie
Genre: YA, Sci-Fi, Dystopia, Romance
Content: Kissing, some death (like in The Giver)
Series: Matched #1
Rating: Butterfly

So I open of this book with anticipation thinking, this is going to be good, I mean its gotten rave reviews and been recommended to me on amazon. I also saw a review saying it's like a mix of The Giver, 1984, and Brave New World. So right there I should have known (I really hate 1984 because it is so extremely pointless) But anyways, so I read the first sentence: "Now that I've found a way to fly, which direction should I go into the night?" I think ohhh, great opener. (A great first sentence is key in a good book) So I continue to read and read and read this pointless book. Ug, So here's the breakdown.

THE PREMISE
Cassia's society is completely controlled by the government. Like completely, think 1984. So then you have Xander and Ky. So there's Xander her BFF and the guy she's matched to. But then there's Ky. The guy she doesn't really know, but who's awesome. So love triangle. Yep, I thought I can deal, I mean it was obvious from the synopsis, but then it's like I love you when I'm with you and You when I'm with you. And it's so obvious who she's gonna pick in the end of the first book, anyways.
THE PROS
1. The writing style. Condie has a nice writing style...
2. The society. A lot like 1984, but interesting.
3. The matching system. Interesting concept.
4. Her brother. He seemed cool enough.
THE CONS
1. The Characters. They were....flat, I suppose.
2. The love triangle. A well executed love triangle makes for an interesting read(ex. The Hunger Games even though I liked Gale better) This love triangle confused me. I just felt like Cassia and Xander have been friends forever and all of a sudden you notice the guy you've never noticed before and find him a much better match than your BFF? Ummmm, Really??? At least in the Hunger Games Katniss had a previous experience that made her connect to Peeta. (Sorry for all the Hunger Games talk, but it's my base book for love triangle comparison)
3. The Execution. I felt as though I was being rushed through a beautiful park and had no time to enjoy the scenery. (I'm the kind of person to stop and admire the view)
4.It was too much like the Giver and 1984. (Never read Brave New World)But I just felt like it was a repeat and if the last book turns out anything like the end of 1984, that would be even worse.
OVERALL
I thought this book was good, just not great. Writing a bad review is hard, but I just didn't connect with this book. But I want to restate that it was not bad, just not what I wanted or expected. I dunno, sometimes it's hard to explain how you feel, but this book was just not my thing...
WOULD I READ THIS BOOK: NO, probably not
WOULD I BUY THIS BOOK:NO, there are better books out there.
AM I HEAD OVER HEELS IN LOVE WITH THIS BOOK: NO, It's the kind of book you may faintly remember, but it won't be the first book you think of.
WOULD I READ THE NEXT BOOK: If I could get it from the library, then yeah, but only because I hate not reading a whole series.
WOULD I READ OTHER BOOKS BY THIS AUTHOR:YEAH, I think so, but depends on the concept.
MY RATING: 2.5 stars, I'm rounding down.
Fav quote: "Now that I've found a way to fly, which direction should I go into the night?" Like I said, I really like the opening Sentence.

BUTTERFLY=2.5 STARS

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you leave a comment, about anything really, you will make my day, maybe even my week if it's a really great comment! =D Anyhow I will try to respond and if you have a blog, leave me the link! I would love to check it out!!