Friday, April 5, 2013

Mind Games

Mind Games (Mind Games, #1)Title: Mind Games
Author: Kiersten White
Genre: YA, Action, Adventure, Paranormal, Thriller, Sci-Fi
Content: fighting
Series: Mind Games #1
Rating: Zebra


So there has been a lot of hype about Mind Games. Why? Because it is completely awesome. I've never read Kiersten White's Paranormalcy series so I had no idea what I would be getting into when I started Mind Games. And let me tell you this, Mind Games was phenomenal!!!
THE PREMISE
Fia was born with flawless instincts. Her first impulse, her gut feeling, is always exactly right. Her sister, Annie, is blind to the world around her—except when her mind is gripped by strange visions of the future.

Trapped in a school that uses girls with extraordinary powers as tools for corporate espionage, Annie and Fia are forced to choose over and over between using their abilities in twisted, unthinkable ways…or risking each other’s lives by refusing to obey.
Summary from Goodreads)
THE PROS
1.) Fia was amazing. She was so strong even after all that she had been through. She was an amazing fighter and she tried so hard to protect Annie. Her relationships with the other characters were real. And even though she pretended to be strong she was still so vulnerable.
2.) The beginning. The beginning of the book easily drew me in and set the tone for the rest of the novel. It drew me in and kept me hooked.
3.) Annie. So truth is I didn't like her as much as I liked Fia, but still she was a really strong character as well. She was blind but that didn't let anything stop her. To was determined to protect Fia.
4.) The concept and execution. The concept was unique and original and White expertly wrote her story. Her writing style helped the novel flow making it impossible to put down.
5.) The fighting. All of the fight scenes were written perfectly and described in detail what was happening.
6.) Wow. I was (and still am) a bit confused about the ending. But even then that doesn't mean it wasn't awesome. Because let me say this the ending blew me away.
THE CONS
1.) I had a hard time getting through some of Annie's parts. I didn't like her as much as Fia and her story was not as action packed, so it was semi-boring. I did like the insight Annie provided.
2.) The chapters that flashed back. One second you would be reading about an action packed moment and then you flip the page in anticipation......and then you read on that it is a boring (yet insightful) flash back to some time ago. Every time that happened I was like, NOOOOOOOO!!
3.) The love interests?? They confused me. I think it was a love triangle for Fia, but Annie was excluded (That made me a little mad, she deserves a happy ending!) I felt like I knew niether of the love interests very well. And I'm really not rooting for either one.
OVERALL
I really enjoyed Mind Games except there were several things that threw me from completely falling in love with the novel. Kiersten White wrote a great novel, using a great concept, but broke the flow of her book by adding in another point of view and flashbacks. Also by introducing Fia first, she made it hard for the reader to fall in love with Annie because they had already met a super exciting character! In all though I enjoyed Mind Games and will be reading more.
WOULD I READ THIS BOOK: YES
WOULD I BUY THIS BOOK: YES
WOULD I RECOMMEND THIS BOOK: To people who enjoy a fast-paced, exciting read.
WILL I READ THE NEXT ONE: YES
WILL I READ MORE BY THIS AUTHOR: POSSIBLY


ZEBRA=4.5 STARS


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you leave a comment, about anything really, you will make my day, maybe even my week if it's a really great comment! =D Anyhow I will try to respond and if you have a blog, leave me the link! I would love to check it out!!