Monday, April 1, 2013

Origin

OriginTitle: Origin
Author: Jessica Khoury
Genre: YA, Sci-Fi, Mystery, Romance, Adventure
Content: There was an extremely sad, animal death, that I will not elaborate on, but be forewarned, it was depressing.
Series: Stand alone. Khoury is writing another book with a similar premise, but the characters are different.
Rating: Zebra
Other books you may enjoy: Untraceable, Crewl
After some thought I've decided to give this book four stars instead of five. It was an amazing book with great character and a great premise, but here's why I gave it a four out of five:
THE PREMISE
Pia is basically a lab rat. She is this HUGE experiment that everyone in the scientific community of Little Cam depends upon. She knows nothing of the would outside of Little Cam and desperatly wants to know, but she is being trained for the sole purpose of becoming a scientist. To create more of her race, the IMMORTALS. She cannot be cut and she has a lot of endurance, but she only wants to know about the outside. When she has the chance to escape through a hole in the fences she goes out to face the dangers of the Amazon.
THE PROS
1. I liked the characters. Most of the characters were great. (Eio and his village, and Uncle Antonio)
2. Pia's struggle with morality. I liked how Pia stuggled with what the scientists were doing. Having grown up with them for her whole life it would have made sense for her to continue to trust them inexplicably, but she took matters into her own hands.
3. I liked how Pia thought about what it was going to be like to watch everyone she knows die. I thought that was a great point for the author to touch upon.
4. In the second half there was tons of action. I LOVE ACTION!!:D
5. The Epilogue. I love epilogues, they make me so happy. I really wish that all books had epilogues, it just feels so nicely summed up.
THE CONS
1. Why did so many of the characters turn out the way they did!!! It just seemed a bit extreme. I don't want to say more for fear of giving to much away.
2. The book started out really slow. This is my own personal thing, but if a book is not exciting to me, I read it in segements weeks apart. For example I bought this book right after Christmas and got a quarter a the way through and didn't pick it up until today. It was definitley worth the read because half way through it got VERY interesting.
3. Pia made me a bit angry in the beginning, but as her character grew over the course of the book, I grew to love her. (No but really in the beginning I would have probably punched her)
OVERALL
I really liked this book, but it didn't get the five stars because of the slow start. You see I'm a fast paced person, who HATES sitting still. (Seriously I pace when I read. It's pretty amazing how much I read when I have such squirm issues.) I also wish that there was a different ending. DON'T READ THIS SPOILER IF YOU DON'T WANT THE ENDING SPOILED. This is just how I think the ending should have went. (Instead of Pia being happy living in the Amazon with Eio, I think the author should have had them both go with Aunt Harriet, so that they could explore the world. It would have been great to see all their reactions to the new things they would be experiencing!! I would have loved a sequel. )[Instead of Pia being happy living in the Amazon with Eio, I think the author should have had them both go with Aunt Harriet, so that they could explore the world. It would have been great to see all their reactions to the new things they would be experiencing!! I would have loved a sequel. (hide spoiler)] So I thought this was a pretty good book.
WOULD I READ THIS BOOK: YES
WOULD I BUY THIS BOOK: YES
WOULD I RECOMMEND THIS BOOK: YES
WOULD I READ THE NEXT BOOK: YES
WOULD I READ OTHER BOOKS BY THIS AUTHOR: YES
Fav Quote: "If you can't trust your eyes than what can you trust?"
ZEBRA=4.5 STARS

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you leave a comment, about anything really, you will make my day, maybe even my week if it's a really great comment! =D Anyhow I will try to respond and if you have a blog, leave me the link! I would love to check it out!!