Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Slide

Slide (Slide, #1)Title: Slide
Author: Jill Hathaway
Genre: YA, Mystery, Paranormal, action, adventure
Series: Slide #1
Rating: Whale
Similar titles: The Body Finder Series

I'm conflicted on my feelings about this book. It held my attention, BUT at points I hated it and at other points I loved it.
THE PREMISE
Vee Bell is certain of one irrefutable truth--her sister's friend Sophie didn't kill herself. She was murdered.

Vee knows this because she was there. Everyone believes Vee is narcoleptic, but she doesn't actually fall asleep during these episodes: When she passes out, she slides into somebody else's mind and experiences the world through that person's eyes. She's slid into her sister as she cheated on a math test, into a teacher sneaking a drink before class. She learned the worst about a supposed "friend" when she slid into her during a school dance. But nothing could have prepared Vee for what happens one October night when she slides into the mind of someone holding a bloody knife, standing over Sophie's slashed body.

Vee desperately wishes she could share her secret, but who would believe her? It sounds so crazy that she can't bring herself to tell her best friend, Rollins, let alone the police. Even if she could confide in Rollins, he has been acting distant lately, especially now that she's been spending more time with Zane.

Enmeshed in a terrifying web of secrets, lies, and danger and with no one to turn to, Vee must find a way to unmask the killer before he or she strikes again.

(Summary form Goodreads)
THE PROS
1. The concept is amazing. I thought the whole idea of sliding into someone else's mind and watching them do things that you have no control of was really cool.
2. The mystery was very interesting. I kind of knew who did it before the end. (It got kind of obvious) But the motives of the killer was really good.
3. Vee's growth. I loved seeing Vee have to deal with her never present father and comforting her sister. I also liked the growth of her gift and how she figured out that maybe some good could come of it.
4. The ending. WOW. Did not see some of that coming.
THE CONS
1. Rollins. I did not like him. He just annoyed me.
2. Zane. Same reasons I didn't like Rollins. He was annoying.
3. The cheerleader's were all the same. Underneath they may have been really nice people, but the author chose to portray them as having super evil exteriors. I hate it when author's use this stereotype. I mean yeah there are probably going to be some mean girls on every team, but a whole team made up of the meanest girls ever? I don't think so.
4. The ending. I liked it, but at the same time I was like, wow, that was a violent end.
THE OVERALL
I'm going to give this book 3.5 STARS because although it was good, it was not amazing. I think I'll give the second book a try when it comes out.
WOULD I READ THIS BOOK: YES
WOULD I BUY THIS BOOK: NO
WOULD I RECOMMEND THIS BOOK: DEPENDS
WILL I READ THE NEXT BOOK: YES

WHALE=3.5 STARS

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you leave a comment, about anything really, you will make my day, maybe even my week if it's a really great comment! =D Anyhow I will try to respond and if you have a blog, leave me the link! I would love to check it out!!