Sunday, April 21, 2013

Storm

Storm (Elemental, #1)Title: Storm
Author: Brigid Kemmerer
Genre: YA, Fantasy, Romance, Paranormal, Supernatural
Series: The Elemental Series #1
Content: Strong Language, talk of rape
Rating: Horse

This book started out so strongly. There was so much hype. Then the beginning was amazing and showed a strong independent heroine. But then things started going downhill. One of the biggest reasons that I will end up not liking a book is because of the characters. For me, an awesome character can carry the whole story. And when I like the main character (somewhat) but I hate  another character who is constantly in the book, who I'm supposed to like, then things don't turn out well....*SIGH* well, anyways here's the rest of my thoughts:

THE PREMISE
Becca Chandler is suddenly getting all the guys; all the ones she doesn't want. Ever since her ex-boyfriend spread those lies about her. Then she saves Chris Merrick from a beating in the school parking lot. Chris is different. Way different: he can control water just like his brothers can control fire, wind, and earth. They're powerful. Dangerous. Marked for death.

And now that she knows the truth, so is Becca.

Secrets are hard to keep when your life's at stake. When Hunter, the mysterious new kid around school, turns up with a talent for being in the wrong place at the right time, Becca thinks she can trust him. But then Hunter goes head-to-head with Chris, and Becca wonders who's hiding the most dangerous truth of all.

The storm is coming.

(Summary from GoodReads)

THE PROS
1.) I love the concept. Ever since I read The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel Series way long ago, I've loved the idea of being able to control the elements!So seeing this I immediately wanted ti read the book and I have to say, the idea was unique and written very well.
2.) For all that I had major issues with Becca, I still liked her. I thought she was well written. She acted how many people in her situation would have. I think that when her Dad came back her reaction was realistic.
3.) I liked the Merrick brothers. They each had their own problems and managed to be unique. I liked reading Chris's viewpoint on his family. I also thought that Micheal played the role of the brother forced to assume responsibility to early, very well.
4.) There were some pretty awesome action packed moments! (I thought they were more exciting when told using Chris's POV. He knew what was going on, unlike Becca who was clueless.)
5.) Hunter's dog, Casper. Need I say more? Dogs are just AMAZING and have that unique ability (when written right) to spice up a book.
THE CONS
1.) Hunter. He was the character where he had all of these moments when the you're supposed to go, awwwww, how sweet is he? Instead I sat there thinking, NO BECCA, DON'T FALL FOR THE EVIL GUY!!!!! His dog did make me like him a bit more, but I still think he was evil.....
2.) The viewpoints were confusing. They weren't specifically stated, so I would sometimes begin to read and then think, wait is this Chris or Becca? They were also inconsistent. Like sometimes you would read huge amounts of Becca's POV and little Chris and then sometimes they were evenly spaced out.
3.) Becca never really stood up for herself. All of the guys would come in and save her. I mean, at the beginning she was not afraid and went and scared off the guys who were attacking Chris, but when it came to her own problems like dealing with her ex-boyfriend, she was just kind of helpless. Chris or at one point Gabriel always had to come in and be her knight in shining armor.
4.) What does narc mean? I looked it up and still feel so confused. I have never heard that word before and it really just threw me off.
5.) There was a point towards the end where Becca learns something about this person that she didn't know. She then gets a text from said person and then the people who she is with send back a text telling the person she needs help. The reply text sounded so fake, that I really was shocked that the person actually came.
6.) The ending. So first off, it was predictable. I had pretty much figured it out before it happened. Second off one of the evil guys (the less evil one, I think) tried to, after he pointed a gun at several people, redeem himself. This attempt to make me like him, seemed weak!!! And I just felt like......I STILL HATE YOU!!!
7.) I felt that Becca was a bad friend to Quinn. She just kind of forgot about her and put Hunter or Chris first. Because after you have been almost killed, you're going to call some guy you only just met, instead of the person who you've been friends with for YEARS. Yeah, that makes loads of sense....
8.) The ending was abrupt....
9.) Chris and sometimes Hunter were an infodump characters. Chris was always the character to explain things to Becca and it came off as the author needing a character
OVERALL
I thought this book started out well, but managed to loose the momentum it had going, by focusing on Hunter and Becca. I loved the concept and I thought that the writing style was good. I am planning to read the next book, so with any luck I will enjoy that one more.
WOULD I READ THIS BOOK: MAYBE
WOULD I BUY THIS BOOK: DEPENDS ON THE PRICE
WOULD I RECOMMEND THIS BOOK: NO, I DON'T THINK I WOULD
WILL I READ THE NEXT BOOK: YES
WILL I READ OTHER BOOKS BY THIS AUTHOR: MAYBE

HORSE= THREE STARS













No comments:

Post a Comment

If you leave a comment, about anything really, you will make my day, maybe even my week if it's a really great comment! =D Anyhow I will try to respond and if you have a blog, leave me the link! I would love to check it out!!