Tuesday, April 2, 2013

The Always War

The Always WarTitle: The Always War
Author: Margaret Peterson Haddix
Genre: YA/MG, Post-Apocalyptic, Dystopian, Adventure, Action
Series: Stand alone
Recommendation: 10 and up
Rating: Horse
Similar titles: Legend, Enclave

So I read this book a while ago and really did not like it, so today when I was reviewing my recent reads, I decided to come back to this book and find out why I didn't like it. So let me begin by breaking it down for you.

THE PREMISE
Gideon has come back from a horrible war. DUN, DUN, DUNNNN Tessa was his old neighbor and she admired him. When Gideon runs away from receiving a huge award, Tessa, because she knows him so well, gives chase. They go on an adventure and find a girl stowed away, Dek. They then find out the terrible secret to the 75 year war!

MY THOUGHTS
Instead of giving you the Pros and Cons like I normally do I'm just going to throw my thoughts out there. I've liked Margret Peterson Haddix for, like, ever. She's awesome; I mean have you read her Shadow Children series?! So I read those books in elementary school/middle school and loved them and just to clarify I still love them! So when I heard she was coming out with a YA novel I was like YEAH!!!:) (I would have read it even if it was middle grade. I think her Missing series is middle grade and it's awesome, too) But anyways, I start reading. It was a short book or so it seemed. I started to think about why I didn't like the book. I guess it was because the characters were flat and it was rushed feeling. Like when you're moving fast in a car and the scenery begins to blur together, that's how I felt. In all her other books I've connected with her characters and felt like I actually knew them, but here they were names. I could not associate a meaning to them. *SIGH* I WAS DISAPPOINTED. The ending was startling, it just ended. I felt like I was reading a sentence, but there was no period. I thought maybe it's because her other books that I've read have been series, but then I went back and reread the first Shadow Children and Missing books and felt depth to the characters in the first couple of pages. I just don't know what was up with this book! Maybe she could have tried for a bit of romance between Gideon and Tessa? I just don't know anymore!!
WOULD I READ THIS BOOK: MAYBE, I don't know, I'm confused now.
WOULD I RECOMMEND THIS BOOK: I STILL DON"T KNOW, AHHH!!
AM I HEAD OVER HEELS IN LOVE WITH THIS BOOK: THE BOOK, NO, THE AUTHOR< YES
WOULD I BUY THIS BOOK: NO, I'D GET FROM A LIBRARY,MAYBE
WOULD I READ THE NEXT BOOK: UMMMM, YEAH, I'M CURIOUS NOW
WOUDL I READ OTHER BOOKS FROM THIS AUTHOR: TOO LATE TO STOP ME :)
Fav quote: "She remembered the delicate, dew-covered spider web she'd seen that morning. She knew the dew would be long gone by now, but the spider web itself had been like a work of art." This was just a great observation!!

If my confusion on this book ever clears, I will edit this review...

*EDIT*After thinking for like two minutes I realized this book was a lot like Legend by Marie Lu, which BTW was a great book

HORSE=THREE STARS

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you leave a comment, about anything really, you will make my day, maybe even my week if it's a really great comment! =D Anyhow I will try to respond and if you have a blog, leave me the link! I would love to check it out!!