Tuesday, April 2, 2013

The Dead and the Gone


The Dead and the Gone (Last Survivors, #2)
 
Title: The Dead and the Gone
Author: Susan Beth Pfeffer
Genre: YA, Dystopia, Post-Apocalytic, Religious
Series: Life as We Knew it #2 (there is a book after this and I also heard there will be a fourth book soon)

I really hate giving a book a bad rating. I liked the first book, maybe not the love I've felt for other books, but a general like. A like great enough for me to read the next book. *Sigh* So let me break down the book.
THE PREMISE
Susan Beth Pfeffer’s Life as We Knew It enthralled and devastated readers with its brutal but hopeful look at an apocalyptic event--an asteroid hitting the moon, setting off a tailspin of horrific climate changes. Now this harrowing companion novel examines the same events as they unfold in New York City, revealed through the eyes of seventeen-year-old Puerto Rican Alex Morales. When Alex's parents disappear in the aftermath of tidal waves, he must care for his two younger sisters, even as Manhattan becomes a deadly wasteland, and food and aid dwindle.

With haunting themes of family, faith, personal change, and courage, this powerful new novel explores how a young man takes on unimaginable responsibilities.

(Summary from Goodreads)
THE PROS
1. The writing style. She's a good writer.
....That's all I got. So yeah
THE CONS dun, dun, dunnnn
1. Religious issues. Okay so I'm an atheist, but I totally respect other peoples views and it's interesting to see how other people view life, even though I don't see it the same way. So yeah, reading a bit about religion doesn't bother me, but when the MC has internal monologues A LOT that bugs me. I get that this character is religious and it's a huge part of his life, but does that view have to be the reason why for EVERYTHING!! I mean really everything he was like I'm going to do this because that's what God would want.
2. Alex. He annoyed the heck out of me. Like stop feeling sorry for yourself and deal. And the whole thing with his sisters annoyed me. Yeah I get you're oldest, but get a grip! Both of your sisters are capable people!! For example he sent one of his sisters away without even telling her until minutes before.
OVERALL
So I read this book a while ago.  So I definitely didn't include everything, but I did explain my major issues.
WOULD I READ THE NEXT BOOK: Yes, I already have because I was curious and I didn't really like that one either because of the ending.
WOULD I BUY THIS BOOK(again): NO, I didn't find it worth the money
WOULD I RECOMMEND THIS BOOK: NO, unless it was to a majorly religious person, but even then...
AM I HEAD OVER HEELS IN LOVE THIS BOOK: NOPE, as I already explained, not my thing.
MY RATING: After much consideration I've decided to raise the book up to two stars, because it wasn't that bad, just not my thing I guess.
Fav quote: " "Two Oreos," Alex said. "Let's live dangerously."
HAHAHA, that part made me laugh and also helped me understand their situation.
So done writing this terrible review, maybe I should go write a positive review to offset the negative... =D
STARFISH=TWO STARS

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you leave a comment, about anything really, you will make my day, maybe even my week if it's a really great comment! =D Anyhow I will try to respond and if you have a blog, leave me the link! I would love to check it out!!