Tuesday, April 2, 2013

This is What Happy Looks Like


This Is What Happy Looks Like
 
Title: This is What Happy Looks Like
Author: Jennifer E. Smith
Genre: YA, Contemporary, Romance, Realistic Fiction
Content: Kissing
Rating: Owl
Other books you might like: The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight, Meant to Be

So to start off, I just want to put it out there that I am NOT a big fan of contemporaries. I mean there are a few authors in that category that I will read, but normally I'll stick to the more Sci-Fi and Fantasy aspects. Well Jennifer E. Smith is one of those authors I can't get enough of. A few months ago when I read The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight, I fell in love with her writing style. So when I heard that she had a new book coming out with an amazing premise, I just had to pre-order it. And then I had to stay up until four in the morning to read it. (yeah, I'm the kind of person who does that, BUT only if I don't have school.) My point is This is What Happy Looks Like does not disappoint.

THE PREMISE
If fate sent you an email, would you answer?

When teenage movie star Graham Larkin accidentally sends small town girl Ellie O'Neill an email about his pet pig, the two seventeen-year-olds strike up a witty and unforgettable correspondence, discussing everything under the sun, except for their names or backgrounds.

Then Graham finds out that Ellie's Maine hometown is the perfect location for his latest film, and he decides to take their relationship from online to in-person. But can a star as famous as Graham really start a relationship with an ordinary girl like Ellie? And why does Ellie want to avoid the media's spotlight at all costs?

(Summary from Goodreads)

THE PROS
1.) The E-mails. The e-mails were funny and it was a great concept, although it might have made a bit more sense if they were texts. (More people text than use e-mail.)
2.) Dual POV. In The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight, there was only Hadley's perspective, but in this book, both Ellie and Graham get there say.
3.) Ellie and Graham. I just loved bot of them. They come off as really shy around each other and it's really cute. I love Ellie's back story and why she has a reason for not wanting to be with Graham. So many times you read a book and the main characters are kept apart for stupid reasons, but here, it made sense.
4.) Graham's pig Wilbur.... You never actually get to meet him. :'(  But I did think Graham's relationship with his pig was insanely sweet!
5.) The cover! I just LOVE the cover. It's just so pretty.
6.) Jennifer E. Smith's writing style. I've already said this, but I just love how she writes the story, she actually makes you feel connected.
7.) I loved the beginning. It was so funny how Graham was so let down about "Ellie" because the whole time I sat there laughing and thinking, "I know something you don't!!'
8.) I loved Graham and Ellie's jokes, like the whoopie pie one and also there funny stories. =D
THE CONS
1.) I would have liked to see more of the E-mails between Graham and Ellie before the author actually introduced them into the book.
OVERALL
In all, I really enjoyed this book. Jennifer E. Smith somehow manages to make her novels feel so real, like what is happening in them is totally possible. I though this book was a fantastic read.
WOULD I READ THIS BOOK: YES!!!!!!!
WOULD I BUY THIS BOOK: NO DOUBT ABOUT IT!!!!
WOULD I RECOMMEND THIS BOOK: To lovers of contemporaries or for people looking for a light funny read.
WILL I READ MORE BY THIS AUTHOR: YES!!!



OWL=FIVE STARS








No comments:

Post a Comment

If you leave a comment, about anything really, you will make my day, maybe even my week if it's a really great comment! =D Anyhow I will try to respond and if you have a blog, leave me the link! I would love to check it out!!