Monday, April 1, 2013

Throne of Glass

Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, #1)Title: Throne of Glass
Author: Sarah J. Maas
Genre: YA, Fantasy, Romance, Mystery, Adventure
Series: Throne of Glass #1
Content: Some fighting and death.
Recommended for 12 and up
Rating: Bison
Other books you might like: Scarlet, Defiance, Touch of Power, Greta and the Goblin King, Seraphina
There is one word to describe how I feel, DISAPPOINTED. I have read the four novellas in this series and loved the first three. The fourth was a bit of a disappointment as well because they killed off my fav character. I tried to get over that fact and waited a while before reading Throne of Glass. I thought for sure that this book would make up for the previous disappointment. It did not. Really it is a good book, interesting premise, mysterious characters, really there was nothing glaringly wrong with it.
THE PREMISE
After serving out a year of hard labor in the salt mines of Endovier for her crimes, 18-year-old assassin Celaena Sardothien is dragged before the Crown Prince. Prince Dorian offers her her freedom on one condition: she must act as his champion in a competition to find a new royal assassin. Her opponents are men-thieves and assassins and warriors from across the empire, each sponsored by a member of the king's council. If she beats her opponents in a series of eliminations, she'll serve the kingdom for three years and then be granted her freedom.

Celaena finds her training sessions with the captain of the guard, Westfall, challenging and exhilirating. But she's bored stiff by court life. Things get a little more interesting when the prince starts to show interest in her... but it's the gruff Captain Westfall who seems to understand her best.

Then one of the other contestants turns up dead... quickly followed by another.

Can Celaena figure out who the killer is before she becomes a victim? As the young assassin investigates, her search leads her to discover a greater destiny than she could possibly have imagined.

(Summary from Goodreads)
ThE PROS
1. There was a lot of action.
2. The secondary characters were interesting.
3. Celaena's back story was explored.
4. Celaena gets the chance to redeem herself.
5. There was a mystery.
THE CONS
1. The love interests (I think it was a love triangle, but it seemed that maybe the captain just wanted a friend) were boring. Dorian really just annoyed me and Chaol was boring and did what he was supposed to do. I mean where the disobedience, come on!!
2. Celaena got even vainer. I mean I am totally fine with the heroine being pretty. I really do get sick of all the nerdy weird girls getting the spotlight (even though I am nerdy and weird) but still all she can focus on is her appearance. Her constant thought always involved clothes and hair and whether everyone else will think she's gorgeous.
3. The mystery was obvious. From the first death it was like, come on Celaena, get with the program it's obvious! Although at one point I did get a little suspicious of another character, but a couple pages later, I knew I was wrong. So the mystery part wasn't so good.
4. Celaena's back story was interesting, why wasn't there more details! Now that I think about it, they will probably be in the next book.
5. There were a couple of other things that made me mad, but they were minor.
OVERALL
I missed Sam and was not able to even remotely like the new guys, even though I did feel bad for Dorian at the end. I think that my main problem is that I still am mad about Sam's death and how now Celaena has moved on. Although I do get it, to her it's been a year, but to me it's been a few weeks. I think that this book is worth giving a shot, but I warn you it doesn’t really live up to the hype. Sorry if I vented a lot in this review, but there were certain things I needed to address.
WOULD I BUY THIS BOOK: YEAH
WOULD I READ THIS BOOK: YEP, worth the time.
WOULD I READ THE NEXT BOOK: Yes
WOULD I RECOMMEND THIS BOOK: Yes, though I might say to read this first, then go back and read the novellas, so you don't feel the lose for Sam and the hate for the new characters so strongly.
WOULD I READ OTHER BOOKS BY THIS AUTHOR: YES
AM I HEAD OVER HEELS IN LOVE WITH THIS BOOK: THIS BOOK? NO. NOVELLAS? YES
BISON=FOUR STARS
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you leave a comment, about anything really, you will make my day, maybe even my week if it's a really great comment! =D Anyhow I will try to respond and if you have a blog, leave me the link! I would love to check it out!!