Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Unearthly


Unearthly (Unearthly, #1)
 
Title: Unearthly
Author: Cynthia Hand
Genre: YA, Fantasy, Angels, Action, Adventure
Series: Unearthly #1
Rating: Owl
Similar books: Angelfall

WOW, that was the first thought I had after finishing this book. This book was amazing, like blow me away AMAZING. I had heard A LOT of amazing things about this book and I kept thinking I really need to read this. I mean when a series gets popular and tons of people are talking about it and you're like, wait what are you talking about, it makes sense to pick up the book and read it, EVEN if its not really your thing. The whole fallen angels thing has never really interested me (although recently I have been reading a lot of angel books) I've read City of Bones and Embrace and didn't really like either of them. I also read Hush, Hush, which was pretty good and then I read this book. I can safely say this is the first angel book that I thought was absolutely AWESOME!! And here's why.
THE PREMISE
In the beginning, there's a boy standing in the trees . . . .

Clara Gardner has recently learned that she's part angel. Having angel blood run through her veins not only makes her smarter, stronger, and faster than humans (a word, she realizes, that no longer applies to her), but it means she has a purpose, something she was put on this earth to do. Figuring out what that is, though, isn't easy.

Her visions of a raging forest fire and an alluring stranger lead her to a new school in a new town. When she meets Christian, who turns out to be the boy of her dreams (literally), everything seems to fall into place and out of place at the same time. Because there's another guy, Tucker, who appeals to Clara's less angelic side.

As Clara tries to find her way in a world she no longer understands, she encounters unseen dangers and choices she never thought she'd have to make between honesty and deceit, love and duty, good and evil. When the fire from her vision finally ignites, will Clara be ready to face her destiny?
(Summary from Goodreads)
THE PROS
1. I love how Clara already knows what she is. In so many books I've read recently you meet the protagonist and they have no idea what they are and then some hot guy or super magical being comes and is like (imagine this in a deep voice) Hello person you are a super powerful being sent to save all of human kind.* and then the MC is always like "NO, that's impossible, you're insane." And then suddenly they believe it all and fall in love with someone. Well Unearthly was wayyy different!
2. Tucker and Clara. I love these two together. I especially love Tucker. I mean COME ON, he is HILARIOUS!!
3. The concept. Cynthia Hand took a well known often used concept and managed to add some spice to it! I LOVE WHEN AUTHORS DO THAT!!!
4. The rest of the characters. All of the characters played a role in the book. There were no characters that were fluff. Everyone was there for a reason.
5. The writing. I know that I say this a lot, but I really do love most authors unique writing style, but Cynthia Hand took it further and gave Clara such a strong, easily relatable voice! :)
6. The setting. Okay I love when books take place in the suburbs or the country. I mean really I find the city to be a bit boring.
THE CONS
1. I felt like not everything was all tied up. I know there are another two books, but I just felt confused during a couple parts. Not a lot, and definitely not enough to distract from the rest of the story.
OVERALL
Okay, you REALLY need to read this book, this series in fact. Don't keep yourself in the dark any longer! :)
WOULD I READ THIS BOOK: YES!!!
WOULD I BUY THIS BOOK: YEP!
WOULD I RECOMMEND THIS BOOK: THERE IS NO STOPPING ME :)
WILL I READ THE NEXT BOOK: PLANNING ON IT
WILL I READ OTHER BOOKS BY THIS AUTHOR: YES
AM I HEAD OVER HEELS IN LOVE WITH THIS BOOK: IT WOULD BE HARD NOT TO BE!!!
OWL=FIVE STARS

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you leave a comment, about anything really, you will make my day, maybe even my week if it's a really great comment! =D Anyhow I will try to respond and if you have a blog, leave me the link! I would love to check it out!!