Monday, May 13, 2013

Compliance

Title: Compliance
Author: Maureen McGowan
Genre: YA, Sci-Fi, Dystopia, Post Apocalyptic
Series: Dust Chronicles #2
Rating: Bison ( I actually gave this book 3.75 stars, but rounded up to four.)
Published by Amazon Children's Publishing
Received from Netgalley

I just don't know how to write this review. I actually enjoyed the book. But there was still stuff that continued to bother me the same way it did in the first book. So here is my book breakdown.

THE PREMISE
Haven Equals Safety.
The slogan is emblazoned on the minds of every Haven employee. But for Glory, life inside the domed city is anything but safe. 
After rescuing her brother, Glory returns to Haven as a double agent to locate and save fellow Deviants. Far from her family and from Burn, Glory faces danger at every turn as she trains to be a Compliance Officer--to track and subdue her own kind--while she works undercover to rescue as many Deviants as she can. 
When people she trusts turn against her and a powerful member of Management takes her under her wing, Glory questions everything she believes and can no longer tell her allies from her enemies. A Deviant, a member of the secret police, a double agent--Glory fights to save others, but can she save herself?
(Summary via Goodreads)

THE PROS
1.) The pacing. I really enjoyed the quick pacing of this book! It didn't feel like it was dragging at all. There was always something going on.
2.) Glory. I really liked her (for the most part) in this book. She acted stronger in this book and all of her actions had reasons. She was still dealing with the effects of learning the truth about how her mother really died and it seemed realistic how she tried to distance herself from other people. 
3.) Cal. Okay, I personally like him waaaayyyy better then Burn. Why? Well he is not extremely violent (although he was a bit more angry in this book) and he really cares about Glory. Which is really great!!! I do fear that Glory might end up choosing Burn over him, which... don't even want to think about that. Back to reasons why I like Cal. He was patient with Glory and really tried to understand what she was going through (even though she wasn't telling him the truth) He did change a bit from the first book, but he remained a great character.
4.) I really liked the whole thing with the rebels trying to gain control of Haven. I liked the characters involved with that and wished we had seen more to do with that aspect of the book.
5.) The mole. I was really not expecting who the mole turned out to be. (Glory was looking for someone within the COTs who was a deviant.) Should I have seen it coming. Probably, but I didn't!! Which made it a great twist and super fun!!
6.) The introduction of the new character. I can't really go into this character without giving a lot away, so I'll just leave it by saying, this character really intrigued me (especially her Deviant) and I can't wait to learn more. 
7.) Burn was not involved throughout a lot of the book and the focus was more on Glory's relationship with Cal! With was great!!! And the parts that Burn was present, I found I didn't mind him as much as I did in the first book! (Shocking isn't it?)
8.) I loved learning about some of the experiments they were doing in The Hospital. I can't wait to read more in the next book!!
THE CONS
1.)  When I first saw this cover, I was shocked! The last one had really caught my eye, but this one....The girl looks like she smells something bad! Just....this is not a book I would buy if I hadn't wanted to find out what happens next. Because no matter what people may say, I personally will always judge a book by its cover.
2.) Somehow Glory manages to lie to everyone, but she is A TERRIBLE LIAR!!! Even she says it's true. Everyone around her is like, You're not telling me the truth, but whatever, it's not like I care! I know she was always a bad liar, but her lying skills have gone even further down hill. (If that's possible)
3.) I was really disappointed with the "villain." Not only was said villain not a big surprise, the reason why the villain was in control seemed so obvious. I really wish the author had gone kind of crazy and wrote it differently. Like throw in a character who you would never think would be the bad guy, but give you great reasons as to why.....
4.) There was no Drake in this book! In the first book he was one of my favorite characters, but he was only mentioned in passing! And Glory didn't seem to upset over her brother's "death." (Another reason why she is a terrible liar!!)
5.) There was a death for the shock value. There seemed to be no reason why this character died. The character died purely so I could say....OMG he is dead!!! How is this possible??? NOOOOO!!!!!!
6.) Glory's susceptibility. Glory was susceptible to a lot through out the book. There were parts where I just couldn't understand what Glory was doing. I was provided with a reason, but I kept thinking, Glory's stronger than that! How come this is happening???
7.) I have a bad feeling about who Glory's going to end up with. There is nothing final about it, but I feel like she will go for the person I hate....
8.) HOW WAS GLORY NOT CAUGHT??? She was constantly wandering around places she was not supposed to go. She was bringing other people with her to these places. She must have been loud. And yet she avoids all detection until it is at a convenient point in the progression of the story. And on top of that Cal was always covering for her! How was this not suspicious???
OVERALL
I really think that this book was an improvement over the last one! While the last one was good (And had a much better cover) I grew attached to the characters during the course of this book more than I did in the last one. I feel like I understand the characters better. This review took me forever to write, for the reason that my thoughts are all over the place. I was intrigued by several of the characters and I really am excited about the next book in this series. So many times the second book feels like a filler, but in this case it was not! It was a great individual read with great character development!
WHY THE BOOK WENT DOWN TO 3.75 STARS:
-A predictable villain with a predictable plan
-Lack of Drake
-Glory was not very strong towards the end
-The death that really was not needed
-Glory's perfect evasion skills


WOULD I READ THIS BOOK: YES, it was pretty good
WOULD I BUT THIS BOOK: PROBABLY
WOULD I RECOMMEND THIS BOOK: MAYBE, If you read the first one and liked it or were curious about the next book.
WILL I READ THE NEXT BOOK: I NEED TO FIND OUT WHAT HAPPENS, SO YES!!!
WILL I READ MORE BY THIS AUTHOR: YES, I really enjoy her writing style and her stories are unique. If she could improve some of her characters **cough cough, Burn** then I think I might really enjoy her books!

BISON=FOUR STARS

2 comments:

  1. Great review! I don't generally pick up dystopian/post-apocalyptic stories, so this won't be on my reading pile, but from the way you describe the characters I want to know if Glory ends up with Cal or "that other guy" (we won't call him by name, LOL).

    Your #8 Con is a good one - I HATE when characters seems to wander around wherever they're not supposed to and don't get caught until they must for story purposes!

    Erin @ YA Book Crush

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love post-apocalyptic and dystopia, but sometimes I feel so frustrated with some of the books in the genre! There are some real gems out there, but then there are some that are so bad. This book was kind of in the middle for me. Thanks for stopping by and I appreciate you avoidance of said characters name. I don't even want to think about him.

      Delete

If you leave a comment, about anything really, you will make my day, maybe even my week if it's a really great comment! =D Anyhow I will try to respond and if you have a blog, leave me the link! I would love to check it out!!