Sunday, May 5, 2013

Prophecy

Prophecy (The Dragon King Chronicles, #1)Title: Prophecy
Author: Ellen Oh
Genre: YA, Fantasy, Adventure, Magic, Demons
Series: The Dragon King Chronicles #1
Recommended for 12 maybe 13 and up
Rating: Butterfly
Received from Christina at A Reader of Fictions via the Cuddlebuggery, Little Blogger, Big Ambitions program.


You know the book where you're all excited for it? It sounds awesome, it has a great cover and it reminds you of a book that you absolutely love? Well Prophecy has intrigued me from when I first heard about it. I read a few reviews and I began to worry, BUT I was still pretty excited. And when I got it from the Little Blogger, Big Ambitions program I was psyched! But from there it was a downhill ride.

THE PREMISE
The greatest warrior in all of the Seven Kingdoms... is a girl with yellow eyes.

Kira’s the only female in the king’s army, and the prince’s bodyguard. She’s a demon slayer and an outcast, hated by nearly everyone in her home city of Hansong. And, she’s their only hope...

Murdered kings and discovered traitors point to a demon invasion, sending Kira on the run with the young prince. He may be the savior predicted in the Dragon King Prophecy, but the missing treasure of myth may be the true key. With only the guidance of the cryptic prophecy, Kira must battle demon soldiers, evil shaman, and the Demon Lord himself to find what was once lost and raise a prince into a king.

Intrigue and mystery, ancient lore and action-packed fantasy come together in this heart-stopping first book in a trilogy.
(Summary via Goodreads)
THE PROS
1.) It takes place in Korea. That right there is very cool! So many books seem to take place in the U.S. and that's cool and all, but I love getting a glimpse into another world and its culture!
2.) All of the legends and myths were really interesting and well thought out.
3.) I really liked the idea of demons who inhabit a body and can only be killed when their heads are cut off. It was very cool!
4.) Jindo!!! Oh how I love my animal sidekicks!! He was loyal to a fault and just an awesome dog. I felt like there should have been chapters devoted to his awesomeness. He saved so many lives, far more than Kira did. He was my favorite character in the whole book. Not only was he the most loyal dog ever, (besides my dog, that is) he was sweet and caring and just refused to die. At one point the evil little Taejo called Jindo a coward...I have never had such a strong urge to punch a twelve year old in the face. NO ONE should ever insult a dog....EVER!!! 
5.) The cover. It is super pretty! Is it not? 
6.) Kira's realization that maybe she wasn't always going to be viewed as ugly and evil. Character development is essential in a book and Kira did develop. That's always good!! 
7.) The concept was very interesting....
THE CONS
1.) In the first three pages, my first thought was, This sounds almost exactly like Graceling. And I expected that. The summary implied it was similar, but it felt so similar it threw me off. In the first chapter you have Kira who has weird eyes, is a great warrior and protector of her cousin the prince. Her Uncle, the King, hates her. She is betrothed to this guy who is wanted by every woman in the court, but she can't stand him. If you haven't read Graceling, then that is exactly how Graceling was. And this book was not a total copycat. It was unique, BUT when a book is similar I can't help but compare them. And Graceling was phenomenal, what other High Fantasy book can live up to its rep? (FYI, it did not live up to Graceling.) 
2.) It was a bit....slow. I never really got into it. I made it about halfway through and then decided I should be studying. I mean, seriously, I HATE STUDYING, and yet I chose to study history instead of reading. It wasn't awful but if I had been really into it, studying would not have been on my mind.
3.) The characters were....how do I put this, flat, BLAH, boring. Taejo was either a whiny kid or someone way older. He went from crying about Kira doing something that he was supposed to do and then to telling her that she was strong and blah, blah, blah. And Kira was just there. She reminded me so much of Katsa, except she was no wheres near as awesome. The others were just there. 
4.) It feels like it should be a middle grade book. I think if I were nine or ten I would have LOVED it!! Instead it just felt juvenile. And it really would be a good MG book, except for a couple parts where it's like, ummmm, not really ten year old appropriate.
5.) Kira seemed emotionless. I mean I would be having a mental breakdown (maybe not in public, but at least in private!) She seemed indifferent.
6.) Kyoung. He was mentioned in the first bit and then for the whole rest of the book Kira doesn't even think about him. All she worries about is her mom and dad and Taejo. Then it was like the author all of a sudden went, oh yeah....I remember that character  I shall provide my characters with some resolution and randomly have him appear at the end....okkkkaaaayyyyy....
7.) Jaewon and Seung...After meeting them and knowing them for a VERY short amount of time Kira feels compelled to tell them who they really are (I feel like they already should have known along with every other person because Kira was known as the prince's protector, so shouldn't they assume that the random kid was in reality the prince?) I also felt like I could have really liked Seung, but he was never really...I don't know how to say this used? mentioned? At one point they split up and left Kwan, Jaewon, and Seung behind. I didn't even realize he was missing...
OVERALL
I know from all of the things I listed as negative, it would make sense to rate it lower than 2.5 stars. But for all that there wasn't a lot I liked there was nothing that made me want to rip the book to shreds. I think that the author needs to work on her writing style and also how she is going to tell the story. Although the first book was no good, I think I might stick with the series and see what happens next. With any luck there will be improvement.
WOULD I RECOMMEND THIS BOOK: PROBABLY NOT
WOULD I BUY THIS BOOK: I think that if there are amazing reviews for the second book I would buy this book. But otherwise no.

WILL I READ THE NEXT ONE: MAYBE, If just to satisfy my curiosity.
WILL I READ MORE BY THIS AUTHOR: Unless I hear that her writing style (The way she writes her characters, the scenes, ect...) then no.


BUTTERFLY=2.5 STARS

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you leave a comment, about anything really, you will make my day, maybe even my week if it's a really great comment! =D Anyhow I will try to respond and if you have a blog, leave me the link! I would love to check it out!!