Sunday, June 30, 2013

Live Long and Prospero

Live Long and Prospero
Title: Live Long and Prospero
Author: Scott Pixello
Genre: YA, Humor
Rating: Whale
Received through RABT-this review was not effected in any way shape or form

THE PREMISE
1983. The Grange Lighthouse, just off the western coast of the UK. Nearest human habitation- New York. Principal Lighthousekeeper James Church settles down to his usual breakfast of whisky and cornflakes. Not together. He has some standards- particularly low ones that he constantly fails to live up to. Into his well-ordered universe comes a scientist to study the nearby puffin colony. This leads Church, and his crew of social misfits, who are forced to share their Captain’s unhealthy obsession with Star Trek, on a strange journey featuring a nasty gang of drug dealers, a surprising undersea discovery and a hamster called Steve.
This is a Young Adult novel with slightly more emphasis on the ‘Adult’ (14+) than previous books by Scott Pixello but not in the sense of being any more grown-up.
Think The Tempest meets Star Trek.

Please note, this is a novella, and priced accordingly.
Like Billy Crystal, Gromit and Boris Johnson’s hair, it may be a bit short but it’s still funny.
(Summary via Goodreads)
MY THOUGHTS
This was a book that I would normally never read. I normally don't read a lot of humor, but the summary was so interesting that I had to check it out. And I'm glad I did. The characters were extremely funny and it was a really fun light read.
I did not get some of the jokes, but I still really was able to enjoy the book. The novella was filled with sooooo many completely unrealistic events, but somehow the author managed to pull it off and make the whole experience extremely entertaining!
I did have a lot of trouble keeping the different characters straight. I suck with names and it took me a while (practically the whole book) to figure out who was who and what person did what.
Overall I found this to be a fun read that had some really interesting references!
WOULD I BUY THIS BOOK: Perhaps....It would depend on my mood
WOULD I READ THIS BOOK: YES. I found this to be a nice read.
WOULD I RECOMMEND THIS BOOK: To those who like books that involve humor and are completely unrealistic.
WILL I READ MORE BY THIS AUTHOR: Most likely. The book was fun and the next time I need a quick fun read I might look at some of his other books.

WHALE=3.5 STARS









No comments:

Post a Comment

If you leave a comment, about anything really, you will make my day, maybe even my week if it's a really great comment! =D Anyhow I will try to respond and if you have a blog, leave me the link! I would love to check it out!!