Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Sapphire Blue

Title: Sapphire Blue
Author: Kerstin Gier
Genre: YA, Romance, Sci-Fi, Time Travel, Historical Fiction, Adventure
Series: Ruby Red trilogy #2
Rating: Owl

THE PREMISE
Gwen’s life has been a roller coaster since she discovered she was the Ruby, the final member of the secret time-traveling Circle of Twelve. In between searching through history for the other time-travelers and asking for a bit of their blood (gross!), she’s been trying to figure out what all the mysteries and prophecies surrounding the Circle really mean.
At least Gwen has plenty of help. Her best friend Lesley follows every lead diligently on the Internet. James the ghost teaches Gwen how to fit in at an eighteenth century party. And Xemerius, the gargoyle demon who has been following Gwen since he caught her kissing Gideon in a church, offers advice on everything. Oh, yes. And of course there is Gideon, the Diamond. One minute he’s very warm indeed; the next he’s freezing cold. Gwen’s not sure what’s going on there, but she’s pretty much destined to find out.

Dear Kerstin Gier,
    I really don't know how you do it. You write an action packed book that takes place over such a short amount of time and yet somehow I still manage to fall head over heels in love with the characters. I am anticipating the end, but at the same time I don't want to ever finish. I love the characters and all their quirky personalities and I love the twists and turns on every page. 
    The way you tell a story is so unique. The story as a whole is so unique. And reading it.....so many different thoughts go through my mind. One minute I'm laughing along with Gwen and the next I want to cry along with her. I feel her pain and I understand what she's going through. It is so hard to not be skeptical about a translated book. I worry that I won't understand what the author is trying to say. That I won't get the jokes that one would normally get when it is in the native language. But most of all I worry about losing the author's unique style. In both Ruby Red and Sapphire Blue it is not a problem...Not in the least. 
   Not only are the characters in Sapphire Blue amazing, but the interaction in between them is as well! Their relationships with each other were so real and true to actual humans. Don't even get me started on the action and intrigue. You have created a true masterpiece. Something that no matter the language you speak or the place you live will interfere.
   On a final note, you have inspired me. After the ending of Sapphire Blue, I was stunned and eagerly flipped the page for more. And there was more....but only a chapter more, which only made my NEED to read Emerald Green even greater. So now my goal is to learn German because I have to read the next book right now or I might cry....endlessly. In hindsight, it's kind of silly to learn German because by the time I might be close to understanding what is written the wait for an English copy will be over. But when I look at it in a broad view, if I manage to somehow master German (which is highly unlikely) I will be able to immediately read any of your future books!!!! I feel so smart! (Until I try to learn German....It will be bad)
   One last thing.....YOUR BOOKS ARE AMAZING!!! (If you hadn't already figured it out.) I would safely say that they rival some of the more well known books in the American culture. I am dying to read Emerald Green and I can't wait to embark upon the next adventure in Gwen's story! October is so far away! Thank you for being such an amazing writer!
Auf Wiedersehen
Fly to the Sky

P.S. I sincerely hope that the Ruby Red movie will come out with English subtitles.It looks so good and I don't want to miss out! 


WOULD I READ THIS BOOK: YES!!!!
WOULD I BUY THIS BOOK: Would a starving man eat bread?
WOULD I RECOMMEND THIS BOOK: TO EVERY PERSON IN THE WORLD!!!!
WILL I READ THE NEXT ONE: If that was not already made clear, then YES!!!!! 
WILL I READ MORE BY THIS AUTHOR: Well I don't offer to learn a language for just anyone!!!

OWL=FIVE STARS

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that's dedication to an author - German is NOT an easy language to learn, as I found out years ago!

    Sounds like a great series. I had Ruby Red and Sapphire Blue on my TBR list until just this past weekend when I just had to pare it down a bit. Looks like I took them off too soon.

    Erin @ YA Book Crush

    ReplyDelete

If you leave a comment, about anything really, you will make my day, maybe even my week if it's a really great comment! =D Anyhow I will try to respond and if you have a blog, leave me the link! I would love to check it out!!