Sunday, June 16, 2013

The Forgotten Ones

Title: The Forgotten Ones
Author: Laura Howard
Genre: YA/NA, Fantasy, Paranormal, Mythology
Series: Book 1 in the Danaan trilogy
Received: From the author. This does not affect my review in any way shape or form.
Rating: Bison
How I'd blurb it: Laura Howard creates an action packed fantasy story intertwined in an artful way with the legends of Ireland leaving you in anticipation for the next book. 

THE PREMISE
Allison O'Malley's plan is to go to grad school so she can get a good job and take care of her schizophrenic mother. She has carefully closed herself off from everything else, including a relationship with Ethan, who she's been in love with for as long as she can remember.

What is definitely not part of the plan is the return of her long-lost father, who claims he can bring Allison's mother back from the dark place her mind has gone. Allison doesn't trust her father, so why would she believe his stories about a long forgotten Irish people, the Tuatha de Danaan? But truths have a way of revealing themselves. Secrets will eventually surface. And Allison must learn to set aside her plan and work with her father if there is even a small chance it could restore her mother's sanity.

(Summary via Goodreads)

THE PROS
1.) Okay, I think I say this way to much, but I loved this writing style and the characters voice. It felt real and made for a very easy read. I think that even if I had disliked the book, (Which I didn't) I would have continued reading works by this author, purely because I love her voice.
2.) The main character felt so relatable. Allison was not a big socializer and her cousin tried to encourage her to get out more, but Allison always preferred a book. She was sweet and kind and cared so much about her mother. Which just adds to why I like her.
3.) The love interest. Yep, I really liked him, which is always a good thing. I really hope that the author does not make this series have a love triangle. I don't think that's the way she'll go, but you never know.
4.) Is it just me or is that cover super pretty! The cover model reminded me a lot of Allison.
5.) It was short. Now normally I might not be so happy about this, but there was little that felt rushed. There was not too much information that the author tried to pack into my brain into such a short amount of time. Most importantly I didn't go brain dead from information overload from any of it.
6.) I loved learning about the Irish mythology. And I liked the villain. I read another book that incorporated some of this mythology so at first it was a bit hard to get used to the personality differences. (The book was the Alchemyst by Michael Scott) But over all the mythology was perfectly incorporated and did not feel like an info dump!
7.) I really liked the dream flashbacks. They gave a lot of insight into the Allison's mind and the state of her mother.
THE CONS
1.) I have to say, I was not a big fan of the ending. It felt a bit unfinished and I get that there will be another book, but I would have liked a bit more closure.
2.) I did get a bit confused with all the names. A couple times I thought  one character was another and I had to go back and reread.
OVERALL
I really enjoyed this book! Not only was it a super fun read but it was short quick and easy to read! The characters were great and overall I enjoyed the mythology!!! I am really looking forward to reading the next book in the series and I can't wait to see how the author's writing style evolves and changes. I think that this is an indie author who's books many will pick up and be able to enjoy!

WOULD I READ THIS BOOK: YES
WOULD I BUY THIS BOOK: YES
WOULD I RECOMMEND THIS BOOK: YES!!!
WILL I READ THE NEXT BOOK: YES
WILL I READ MORE BY THIS AUTHOR: YES!!! I love her writing style!



BISON=FOUR STARS








No comments:

Post a Comment

If you leave a comment, about anything really, you will make my day, maybe even my week if it's a really great comment! =D Anyhow I will try to respond and if you have a blog, leave me the link! I would love to check it out!!