Sunday, July 28, 2013

Loving Your Lies

Author: Piper Shelly
Genre: NA, Paranormal, Fantasy, Romance
Series: None
Rating: Zebra
Received: As part of a blog tour, which in no way shape or form effected my review!


Okay so I have to admit I read this book for the sole reason that the author was Piper Shelly. Who is an author I absolutely love!! (Although I have to admit that I've only read two of her other books... She really needs to write faster!!) but I have to say that this book was phenomenal!! Like beyond what you would expect it to be. 


THE PREMISE
Julian is drop-dead gorgeous, annoyingly provocative, and he's fast becoming her best friend. But he also has a secret that makes the little hairs on her arms stand on end...

My name is Jona Montiniere, and that’s pretty much the only good thing to say about me.

I’m seventeen, I’m snarky, and I’m a crap-load of trouble. Or so they say. But what did they expect from me really, when they dumped me in an orphanage at age five? That I’d grow up to become the new first lady? Nah, I think it’s much more fun to raid Camden Market in London with my friend, Debby. She’s cool. She lives on the street. I learned so much from her.

The only thing she missed to teach me was how to tend to a vineyard. And yeah, that’s what I’m going to do for the next 6 weeks, courtesy to this darn judge, who sent me off to France after I was caught stealing again. Fair enough, the vineyards are okay, and so are my aunt and uncle, who I haven’t met up ‘til now. What isn’t okay, and I mean it, is that I have to live in the same house with my mother, that god-awful dragon, who spurned when I was only a child. And now she wants me back? Demands my forgiveness? Why, because she’s about to die of cancer? Uh-uh. Sorry, but that’s not gonna happen. I want no contact with that woman, thanks.

But what’s Julian got to do with all of this? About my age, he’s too young to be my mother’s lover. So why doesn’t he leave her side? Ever. He’s different, as in the paranormal kind of different, but he’s sa-woon-worthy gorgeous. He obviously has secrets, but he’s also get-under-my-skin charming. In short, he’s a riddle to me. But he likes me, and that’s scaring the shit out of me. I sure won’t let anyone come too close. 

(Summary via Goodreads....Last two sentences left off, explained in the section title The Summary)

MY THOUGHTS
So this book..... I have to admit I loved this book. Not only is the writing amazing, but the characters and the plot are as well. Where should I begin.... Okay that's obvious, lets start at the very beginning, page one. 

THE CHARACTERS
Jona, Jona, Jona, from the first page I knew I was going to love you. From the beginning you're snarky and out of control. You are a thief and somehow through this you are awesome. No lie. You are definitely one of my favorite  characters. I love the fact that you are grappling with right and wrong., unsure of how to be. You hate your mother and that's totally understandable. What she did to you was so wrong. Somehow you made it through that experience and became one of the snarkiest rudest characters in existence. And somehow someway I still loved you. (Does this say something about my character? Probably does...)
Moving on let's talk about Jona's family. 
I hated her mom from page one. (Relax that's how I was supposed to feel.) She was such an annoying character and after what she did to her daughter.....it was unforgivable. I absolutely hated her. 
And then there was Julian. From the first time you meet him, you want to hate him. He's supporting the enemy! (The enemy being Jona's mom) but for some reason you feel the need to like him. He is (for some unknown reason) there for Jona. He tries to help her out and make sure that she stays out of trouble. (Like that's possible) by the end I absolutely loved him. 
As for the rest of the cast of characters, they were all pretty splendid. (Okay does splendid seem out of place or is that just me? My mom says I use the words awesome and amazing too much. I'm trying to cut down, but if splendid feels to wrong, feel free to sub them in) the characters were well rounded each with a interesting and unique back story. I really loved reading about them and their dedication to the vineyard. 
One thing I would have loved to have seen more of was Debby. From the summary she sounds like a main player. Someone who stays in the story. (Maybe even a character that tries to get Jona away from the vineyard and back onto the streets to cause chaos.) instead she appears briefly in the beginning and is sometime mentioned in passing during one of Jona's thoughts or conversations. I think that she could have been a great character to explore and learn more about. 

THE SUMMARY
So talking about the summary seems off topic. But it really isn't. So don't read the summary on Goodreads or Amazon. Just don't read the summary anywhere actually. (It's probably the same thing everywhere....) I think that the summary gives away a big part of the book that you don't even find out until your over half way through.  I (because normally I get bored of summaries half way through) never actually read the summary until I was done with the book. And I felt like there was just a big giveaway that could have possibly ruined the ending. (It would not have decreased my enjoyment of the book by any means, but I love surprises and shock! So much more fun!)   So on that note avoid the blurb. Just do it. Hang on. I'll put a spoiler below if you want to know why. 
Julian is not revealed to be an angel for forever. The reader and Jona know that something is up but they don't know what. Sure there are indicators that's what he is but I think it's way more fun finding out yourself. And also I hate how it mentions keeping him on Earth. This happens so late in the book that it seriously should not have been mentioned at all....Grrrrr!!!

THE SETTING
So this is set in France.... In a vineyard. 
I loved the setting and it was definitely well written. (Of course it was. Piper Shelly wrote it!) 
There was one time where Jona and her aunt went into town to buy stuff. (It was like a girls day or whatever) and I really would have liked to hear more about the town. I wish that the characters had spent more time there. In my opinion I think that it would have made the book a bit better. (Although I'm not sure it's that possible ) 
Other than that the setting was amazing and I really enjoyed it!

THE PACING
The pacing is really good and consistent throughout. I did think the ending felt a tiny bit rushed. And I would have liked it a lot better if there was just a few more pages. It wasn't like there were loose ends....it all felt like bam must finish book. Which was really disappointing. (Clarification: I LOVED the ending, but I just thought it felt rushed...It's not that it wasn't superb (because it was) I just wanted a little bit more foreclosure spread out over several pages...)

THE COVER
I really liked it! It looks super cool!

OVERALL
So I've come to a conclusion, Piper Shelly is an amazing author and I will read anything she writes.... (Well almost anything!) this book was fast paced with great characters, which really made the book. While there were some weak points in both pacing and setting they did not attract from my enjoyment of the book as a whole. I would recommend this to lovers of Paranormal books looking for a great fun and quick read. 
WOULD I READ THIS BOOK: YES!! 
WOULD I BUY THIS BOOK; YUP!!!
WOULD I RECOMMEND THIS BOOK: of course
WILL I READ MORE BY THIS AUTHOR: Ummmm..... Yes.  Is that even a valid question to ask myself?


ZEBRA=4.5 STARS







Hi, I’m Piper. I’m an Austrian lass—totally uncomplicated and up to anything fun. 
I grew up in Vienna, not by free will but because my parents decided to move there when I was only 4 years old. Ugh, that was hard. I hated the city. Everything about it. So I moved back to Upper Austria right after graduation. There are trees now in front of my window instead of just another ugly gray building, and I love to be woken by the singing of birds every morning. One of my favorite movies? Snow White. The dwarves’ house would be one epic place to live.
At seventeen, I met the love of my life, but he was a playboy, and though he was also the inspiration for many of my teen romances, I didn’t make it easy for him to get me. It took him another four years of fighting for me until I finally decided to give that “couple-thing” with him a shot. I’m now married to this man ;-) It’s cool if you can say: I tamed Casanova. What I’m currently reading? The Fifty Shades of Grey Trilogy.
We have a ten-year-old son, and together we travel a lot…although I sometimes wish the trips were shorter because I can’t wait to get back to my laptop and my many stories. Unless we’re in Disneyland. No stress to go home then. ;-)
So, you see, I’m leading a pretty normal life.
Of course, it’ll all change the day my books follow the act of Harry Potter, and I’ll become richer than the Queen. I swear I’ll never again clean my windows myself then. Yeah, one day… LOL


Buy Loving Your Lies on Amazon



2 comments:

  1. Awesome review! Thank you so much. And now you have me doing one thing...I'll change the blurb. I knew it for a long time - I mean that it was giving away too much. But I just loved that last line because I thought it was captivating. However, it's good if someone pokes you in the ribs once in a while and makes you think of better ways. So for that, too, thank you! :-)

    Cheers,
    Piper

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY!! Thanks for stopping by! I really did like the last two lines (they sure did catch my attention, even after reading the book) but I just felt like it was a bit of a spoiler! So glad you lied my review!

      Delete

If you leave a comment, about anything really, you will make my day, maybe even my week if it's a really great comment! =D Anyhow I will try to respond and if you have a blog, leave me the link! I would love to check it out!!