Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Pivot Point

Title: Pivot Point
Author: Kasie West
Genre: YA, Fantasy, Paranormal, Romance, Sci-Fi, Mystery
Series: Pivot Point #1
Rating: Owl
Recommended to me by Benedicte over at Bimsebamse's Book Blog!

Going into Pivot Point I was positive that no author could pull off such a complicated story line. I mean sure, I've read books with alternate universes (Unraveling) even watched T.V. shows (Fringe) and yet I've never read anything like this book! This isn't alternate universes....this is POSSIBILITIES!!

THE PREMISE
Knowing the outcome doesn’t always make a choice easier . . .

Addison Coleman’s life is one big “What if?” As a Searcher, whenever Addie is faced with a choice, she can look into the future and see both outcomes. It’s the ultimate insurance plan against disaster. Or so she thought. When Addie’s parents ambush her with the news of their divorce, she has to pick who she wants to live with—her father, who is leaving the paranormal compound to live among the “Norms,” or her mother, who is staying in the life Addie has always known. Addie loves her life just as it is, so her answer should be easy. One Search six weeks into the future proves it’s not.

In one potential future, Addie is adjusting to life outside the Compound as the new girl in a Norm high school where she meets Trevor, a cute, sensitive artist who understands her. In the other path, Addie is being pursued by the hottest guy in school—but she never wanted to be a quarterback’s girlfriend. When Addie’s father is asked to consult on a murder in the Compound, she’s unwittingly drawn into a dangerous game that threatens everything she holds dear. With love and loss in both lives, it all comes down to which reality she’s willing to live through . . . and who she can’t live without.
(Summary via Goodreads)

MY THOUGHTS
I can't even.....This book....
You know that feeling when you are blown away, stunned by something completely and irrefutably amazing?

There are two words that can name that feeling.

PIVOT POINT

So what is Pivot Point exactly. Well mind blowingly stupendous are a couple that could be an apt description, but that is probably not what you want to hear.
So Pivot Point, to start off relatively simple, is well written. (Obviously or no one would want to read or love it) but still, Pivot Point goes beyond what good writing is. Why would I say that, well not only is the writing style phenomenal, the way the author wrote it, keeping each scenario clear from the other is what really knocked my socks off.
Addie is looking into the future, deciding a fate that very well may change her life. Each scenario is similar, different characters, but the same mysteries. This could have easily confused me. (Trust me when I say that it's really not hard to send my head spinning...) But the author handled it perfectly. Each of Addie's POV where clear within the first page of the chapter. There was also a pattern and it sure wasn't erratic! (Again that is always a good thing!) Moving past the magnificent POV and writing style, there is Addie.
Oh Addie, how I loved you. Addie is a strong character and she is DETERMINED to find out the truth. Her gift in the long run can definitely help her, but in the short run causes her a whole bunch of pain. Still she remained strong throughout the entire book.
My one complaint about Addie is that in the scenario she stayed with her mom, she was so focused on teenage rebellion. I get that. But she was basing all of this one things from books she has read. (She is a major reader. YAY!!!) She didn't even seem that into the teenage rebellion....
So it's a love triangle..... but even the love triangle makes sense, because now, not only is Addie picking whether she wants to move with her dad or stay with her mom, she is also picking between two guys.... Although there are to potential guys there is obviously only one that she will ever end up picking.... (Trevor, Duke is a jerk...)
I loved being able to view both scenarios as the big WHAT IF? Constantly you're trying to figure out which life she'll choose, which was really fun!
So about Addie's friend Laila..... I liked her...most of the time.... but she came off as a bit of, how do I put this, an idiot..... She was always trusting the wrong people and pushing Addie towards the wrong people. And sometimes she didn't feel very sympathetic to what Addie had to go through with her gift. I'm not saying that she wasn't a good friend, because she was...I just at times didn't like her....
So I also loved watching Addie adjust to the "Norm" life. She was such a funny and clueless character when it came to simple things like the DVD player.
And, I can't believe this happened, but I almost forgot to mention Rowan! I loved his and Laila's interaction, but I also love him as a character! He was super funny and a great supporting character!

OVERALL
I really loved this book! Not only was it extremely well written it was super fun to read! Addie was a great character as were the other characters! I was definitely surprised by how much I enjoyed this book! I absolutely can't wait to read the next book! IT LOOKS FANTASTIC!!!

WOULD I READ THIS BOOK: YES!
WOULD I BUY THIS BOOK: YEP!
WOULD I RECOMMEND THIS BOOK: TO THOSE FAR AND WIDE!
WILL I READ THE NEXT BOOK: YES!!! SPLIT SECOND HERE I COME!!!
WILL I READ MORE BY THIS AUTHOR: YES! I also loved The Distance Between Us, which I read a few days before picking up Pivot Point!


OWL=FIVE STARS!!!!



4 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you on Addie not being into the rebellion stuff. She was mean to her mom. Love that you reviewed it, and it's a great review, smiled the entire time reading it! Thank you for linking my blog! :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! It was definitely an AMAZING BOOK! Thanks for the recommendation!

      Delete
  2. I agree! I really love this book

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it!!! Thanks for stopping by!!!

      Delete

If you leave a comment, about anything really, you will make my day, maybe even my week if it's a really great comment! =D Anyhow I will try to respond and if you have a blog, leave me the link! I would love to check it out!!