Monday, July 22, 2013

The Distance Between Us

The Distance Between UsTitle: The Distance Between Us
Author: Kasie West
Genre: YA, Contemporary, Romance, Realistic Fiction
Rating: Zebra

THE PREMISE
Seventeen-year-old Caymen Meyers studies the rich like her own personal science experiment, and after years of observation she’s pretty sure they’re only good for one thing—spending money on useless stuff, like the porcelain dolls in her mother’s shop.

So when Xander Spence walks into the store to pick up a doll for his grandmother, it only takes one glance for Caymen to figure out he’s oozing rich. Despite his charming ways and that he’s one of the first people who actually gets her, she’s smart enough to know his interest won’t last. Because if there’s one thing she’s learned from her mother’s warnings, it’s that the rich have a short attention span. But Xander keeps coming around, despite her best efforts to scare him off. And much to her dismay, she's beginning to enjoy his company.

She knows her mom can’t find out—she wouldn’t approve. She’d much rather Caymen hang out with the local rocker who hasn’t been raised by money. But just when Xander’s attention and loyalty are about to convince Caymen that being rich isn’t a character flaw, she finds out that money is a much bigger part of their relationship than she’d ever realized. And that Xander’s not the only one she should’ve been worried about.

(Summary via Goodreads)

MY THOUGHTS
Okay, I need to get this out of the way.....I LOVE Caymen. She is one of the funniest characters....perhaps one of the funniest in the history of the world....that's saying a lot. I love her dry humor. She was a character that really made the book!! So many times when I read a contemporary it blends in my mind with the other contemps. I've read because they are all so similar. But with this book? Caymen was the force that makes this book stand out from everything else!
I also loved how the author examined social classes in our society. So many times it feels as though money shouldn't matter. I mean in a society like ours does it matter? And this book does show the gap in income. I read this right after I had gotten back from a back packing trip, (which, FYI was an AMAZING experience!) but on that trip there were people that were really rich and you could kind of tell. So I could definitely sympathize with Caymen's situation.
I also loved how Caymen's mom owned a doll store and how Caymen was always volunteering to help her out even though she HATED dolls! That was really sweet!
And now on to Xander, the main love interest, or at least the one that really mattered to me. He was a great character and really sweet. He was always there for Caymen and I just really liked him.
The other (not really at all) love interest was a rocker guy named Mason, but as I already said he doesn't count......Seriously, I was not a big fan of him....at all.
I loved Caymen's friend Skye, she was a great character and a good friend to Caymen!
I have two complaints. One is, I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT CAYMEN DIDN'T TALK TO HER MOM EARLIER!!! If there was ever any reason that indicated there was something wrong with my mom, I would be on her case until she told me. Instead of talking to her mom and showing that they actually had a close relationship, Caymen chooses to freak out over her mom......NO, just no......
My other problem was the ending felt a bit rushed. I would have liked a bit more foreclosure about everything before the novel ended......

OVERALL
I adored this book! The characters were fantastic and the humor was perfect. Even now as I write this review, I'm reading sections and understanding again what is so great about this book! Like for example:
"Your stare can make a guy insecure."
"I'm not staring, I'm observing."
"What's the difference?"
"The intent of observation is to gain data and form a theory or conclusion."
or
"We shouldn't talk about it like this or we'll scare poor Caymen. Don't worry. You'll like it. Lots of creepy old men who will want to dance with you, Lots of food that looks like it might crawl off your plate. And the band is so exciting they don't even need a lead singer."
I'm in that band. I'm glad you like it." I say.
"Lucas stutters. "No, I mean yes. The band is great I was just being stupid. I'm sorry."
Gah! I just love this book!!!!! Anyhow, I can't wait to read more by this author! Pivot Point has just been bumped up on my TBR list!!!!
WOULD I READ THIS BOOK: YES!!!! And I would reread it too!
WOULD I BUY THIS BOOK: YES!!!!
WOULD I RECOMMEND THIS BOOK: TO LOVERS OF HUMOR AND AN AMAZING MC!!!!!
WILL I READ MORE BY THIS AUTHOR: YEP! Pivot Point looks soooo good!!!!

ZEBRA=4.5 STARS!!!!

4 comments:

  1. Lovely! I thought it sounded good, but this is the first review I've read for The Distance Between Us. Now even more excited :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES!!!! This was a book that kept me laughing!!!!! Definitely check it out!!!

      Delete
  2. I have this book on hold at the library and am very excited for it! I have heard a lot of good things about it so far. Good to see you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oohh!! That's awesome! I hope you get to read it soon! And I really hope you love it!!! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

If you leave a comment, about anything really, you will make my day, maybe even my week if it's a really great comment! =D Anyhow I will try to respond and if you have a blog, leave me the link! I would love to check it out!!