Friday, July 26, 2013

Transparent

TransparentTitle: Transparent
Author: Natalie Whipple
Genre: YA, Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Mystery, Romance, Crime
Series: There is a sequel in the works.
Rating: Bison

THE PREMISE
Plenty of teenagers feel invisible. Fiona McClean actually is.

An invisible girl is a priceless weapon. Fiona’s own father has been forcing her to do his dirty work for years—everything from spying on people to stealing cars to breaking into bank vaults.

After sixteen years, Fiona’s had enough. She and her mother flee to a small town, and for the first time in her life, Fiona feels like a normal life is within reach. But Fiona’s father isn’t giving up that easily.

Of course, he should know better than anyone: never underestimate an invisible girl.

(Summary via Goodreads)

MY THOUGHTS
Okay thoughts before reading: I LOVE THE FIRST LINE OF THE SUMMARY!!!!
Plenty of teenagers feel invisible. Fiona McClean actually is.
I mean.... that is the perfect attention grabbing to the point intro. Whoever thought that up is a genius!
On that note, I loved the prologue to the book. I normally am not the prologue type of person. I like to learn about the past as the story goes on, but this prologue was fantastically done!!! It was attention grabbing and provided a lot of insight into the life of Fiona.
Not only was the prologue gripping, but the first couple of chapters managed to hold my complete attention! Why? Because they were fast moving and action packed! It grabs your attention and makes you want to keep reading. I was definitely impressed. Usually the first few chapters are slow info dumps, but this one was definitely different!
I really liked the romance, too!!! I thought that both guys were really sweet!!! (Don't worry it wasn't really love triangle-ish. Just Fiona being confused!) But there was definitely one that I was pulling for throughout the whole book! :)
The idea of this book is so unique and fun that I am definitely impressed with the author's skill!
I also love how everything worked out. There was no sadness that made me want to throw the book across the room. Seriously, I am such a sap for happy endings! Especially since when I read it, I thought it was a stand-alone! (The author announced the sequel, Blindside, just the other day!) I would have absolutely HATED it if there was some sad loose end!
I loved the mysterious Spud. Spud is a character you know nothing about. You don't even get to meet this character, except that Spud is able to help Fiona out. I loved the mystery in that! (And it was confirmed that there will be more about Spud in the next book!)
And then of course there is Bea. She is a great character and an awesome friend to Fiona. You can tell that she is definitely desperate for friendship (especially right in the beginning) but at the same time is extremely loyal. Even after only knowing Fiona for a few days she puts herself at risk to help Fiona out of trouble.
And Miles is definitely a great brother. He was always there for Fiona and was just an great character! I loved his "superpower" too!
Although I have to say that at times I got a bit bored.....It wasn't because it wasn't super fast paced....It was more like there were lulls in the story. Times where the scene at hand didn't capture my interest and I put the book down for a few minutes only to pick it back up a few minutes later. (Because overall the story was phenomenal, and I couldn't stand not knowing.)
I also thought that at time Fiona was a bit harsh to her mother. A couple of times it seemed a bit...extreme. I mean I get that she can't trust her mother not to going running back to her dad. I also get that Fiaona doesn't trust her brother Graham, A brother that her mother insists keeping in contact with. (A brother who has also been cruel and mean to Fiona and also turned her and her mother into their father the other times they ran away...) I get that I do, but still her mother did leave a man that she loved (or thought she did). Would that not be emotionally tragic to her mother, something that Fiona should handle gently.

OVERALL
I have to say that I really loved this book. Not only was it a fun exciting read, but it was sweet. The characters were great. Not only were they well written, but they each had a well thought out background story. I think that this book is definitely one that many looking for a light read will love.

WOULD I BUY THIS BOOK: YES
WOULD I READ THIS BOOK: YUP!!!
WOULD I RECOMMEND THIS BOOK: To those looking for a quick read.
WILL I READ THE NEXT BOOK: Can't wait to read Blindside!
WILL I READ MORE BY THIS AUTHOR:  The House of Ivy and Sorrow looks pretty good and I'll definitely be checking it out!
BISON=FOUR STARS

6 comments:

  1. Yay I'm really glad you liked it. I have it on my shelf, but have not read it. I'll pick it up soon though. I'm really glad to hear that it's a quick read. I love fast paced books, and omg I didn't know there was a sequel to this! Great review.

    Leigh
    Little Book Star

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah this was definitely a fun book! Hope you really enjoy it!! And yeah, the sequel was only just announced! Looks pretty exciting!

      Delete
  2. A light read with an awesome twist. I enjoyed this one too. Thanks for the cool review :D

    -Dannielle

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do love the idea of invisibility! And I'm happy to hear so much of the beginning captured you and that you enjoyed it despite the lulls. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Invisibility is sch a fun topic to read about! Thanks for dropping by!

      Delete

If you leave a comment, about anything really, you will make my day, maybe even my week if it's a really great comment! =D Anyhow I will try to respond and if you have a blog, leave me the link! I would love to check it out!!