Thursday, August 8, 2013

Feature and Follow Friday: The Classics

Feature and Follow Friday is hosted by both Parajunkee and Alison Can Read!

Today's Topic:
Back to school. Create a reading list for the imaginary English Lit class you’ll be teaching this semester.
So back to school.... I don't even want to think about it, but this (for me) is such an easy topic! Right now I've been thinking a lot about the books I wish to read (Mostly because my English summer reading requirements list just came out....blah...)

So the need to reads:
THE CLASSICS- because where ever you are they must be touched upon.
1984 by George Orwell- When I first read this book a year ago, I HATED IT! And with good reason. I still think it's awful, BUT it is also the reason why I passed my AP exam. Because what happened in the book related so well to what happened in the Russian Revolution as well as many other events in history. This is a book people need to read so we can watch out for what we are becoming.

In Cold Blood by Truman Capote- Okay the only reason why this is on my list is that this is one of the books I picked for my summer reading Critical lens.

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee- This is one of the only books that I've read in school and enjoyed. Plus it's good and shows our heritage.

The Odyssey by Homer-- Two words. EPIC POEM. Enough said.

Lord of the Flies by William Golding- I love this book AND it's a classic showing us about human nature!! Yes please!

The Swiss Family Robinson- I have and always will love this book!

The Adventure of Sherlock Holmes- These books are amazing and need to be loved by all.

The Jungle by Upton Sinclair-- This is only because I want to read it and think others should as well.

Night by Elie Weisel- This book is so heartbreaking and yet told in such a strong voice. I not only respect the author for all that he went through, I admire him and his story and the way that he told it. 

Anything by Jules Verne 

THE MODERN DAY BOOKS- because i there are so many current books out there!
Cinder by Marissa Meyer-- I wish I could read this one in school

Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld-- I love this book! Need I say more?

Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling- A book that every single person in the universe should read.

The Girl in th Steel Corset by Katy Cross-- Just because...

The Agency by Y.S. Lee-- Because this entire series is epic....

Unraveling by Elizabeth Norris-- Alternate Universes!!!! YAY!!!

Being Jamie Baker by Kelly Oram-- Another just because I said so.

Blood Red Road by Moira Young

Scarlet by A.C. Gaughen
Article Five by Kristen Simmons

The Hunger Games

Divergent by Veronica Roth

Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi

Seraphina by Rachel Hartman

Legend by Marie Lu


SO, HERE'S MY IDEA:
I doubt many people in my school would ever read that many books... The Classics are books that I think everyone should read, but the moderns are a lot more open. I think if I was ever to have an English class I would give them a list of my favorite YA books and then have them pick a couple. 
I think that although classics are extremely important, reading current novels is as well, a fact that my english teachers disagree with me on...

SO THOSE ARE MY PICKS....
WHAT ARE YOURS??
emailbloglovin

14 comments:

  1. Hopping through. I do think the classics are important to read in school. They may not be as fun, but if you don't read them in school you probably won't.
    My Hop

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree!! They are definitely books that without school I would ever have read.

      Delete
  2. I will enroll in your english lit class as long as I'm not forced to read the classics.

    New follower via twitter and bloglovin.

    Thoughts and Pens

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But some of the classics are awesome!!!

      Delete
    2. Huhuhu... Don't you know that I'll get sick if I read those? :C

      Delete
  3. Nice!! You went both ways, very nice! Didn't think to do that, but then again I wasn't real big on classics myself!

    Here's my Follow Friday

    Have a GREAT weekend!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Alison Can Read. It's tough convincing myself as an adult to read a classic. Most of them probably won't get read because they're not as entertaining as the books out now. But great choices both classic and new.

    Especially Night, The Odyssey, and Harry Potter. :)

    Love your tree icons. I'm na new twitter, facebook, and bloglovin fan.

    My FF

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am one of the few who is generally speaking, a classics fan. But I do agree that it never hurts to have a good mix with a contemporary or two! :) My old high school now includes The Hunger Games on it's summer reading list. So the times are changing somewhat! New follower on Facebook, Bloglovin and Twitter.

    My FF:

    http://diamondinroughcoal.blogspot.com/2013/08/follow-me-friday-26.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish that my school did that! *sigh* My English teachers enjoy for in me to read books I hate... Cough, cough Grapes of Wrath and Romeo andJuliet.... Blah

      Delete
  7. You've now gotten me interested in what your curriculum book list is like for the year, would you like to share?

    My Friday Hop

    ReplyDelete
  8. Harry Potter and Hunger Games made my list! TKaM and Lord of the Flies shouldve been on my list but I forgot them lol!

    Great list!

    Amanda @ i solemnly swear

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm in...where do I sign up?? I went with a salute to mythology.
    New bloglovin follower.

    Kimberly @ Once Upon a YA Book

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was about to be intimidated by so many books but then I read we get to pick some of them! Wonderful list! I never knew swiss family robinson was a book. I just thought it was a weird tree at Disney. I am for sure gonna have to read it now!! and I loved Night by Elie Wiesel. I know that makes me sound horrible but I could feel all of it as I read it. It was powerful!

    Old follower on bloglovin, new twitter!

    My FF + Giveaway!

    Amber @Paradise of Pages

    ReplyDelete

If you leave a comment, about anything really, you will make my day, maybe even my week if it's a really great comment! =D Anyhow I will try to respond and if you have a blog, leave me the link! I would love to check it out!!