Friday, August 2, 2013

The Defiance

The Defiance (Brilliant Darkness, #2)Title: The Defiance
Author: A.G.Henley
Genre: YA, Dystopia, Zombies, Romance
Series: Brilliant Darkness #2
RATING: Owl

THE PREMISE
It hasn't been long since Fennel, a Sightless Groundling, and Peree, her Lofty Keeper, fell in love and learned the truth: the Scourge, and their world, are not what they seem.

Fenn and Peree are determined to guide their people to the protected village of Koolkuna, but first they must convince them that everything they believe is a lie. An impossible task, especially when someone seems hell-bent on trying anything--even animal sacrifice and arson--to destroy the couple's new bond and crush the frail truce between the Groundlings and the Lofties. Not everyone wants to uproot their lives in the forest, and those who stay behind will be left terribly vulnerable.

Fenn and Peree's resolve to be together, and the constant threat of the Scourge's return, push both groups to the breaking point. Unable to tell friend from foe, Fenn must again decide how much she's willing to sacrifice to ensure the future of the people of the forest.

Only this time, the price of peace may be too high to bear.
(Summary via Goodreads)

MY THOUGHTS

So this book.....

I'm not a sequel/second book person, something about it just puts me off.... For no apparent reason. 

So going into The Defiance I have to admit that I was scared that it would live up to my expectations of what the second book in this series should be. 

Here's the thing, I really should have just trusted the author that this book would be fantastic, because it really truly was. 

So first of all, I'm not normally a crier, I mean sure there are some books that can easily reduce me to a sobbing mess, but those books are rare. And I have to say that this book had a huge emotional impact on me! These were characters I loved from a book that I have reread countless times. (Talking about the Scourge here). And several things that happened in this book carried such a huge emotional impact. And I was supremely impressed with A.G. Henley for now only being able to deliver such a profound emotional blow, but also doing it with her amazingly vivid descriptions. 

Throughout the book I connected to Fenn. With the amazing writing style I was able to understand all of the pain she was going through and the decisions she was having to make. It was brilliantly done. 

The main character Fenn is blind. So you would think that, that fact would hinder the author's ability to create a world completely different from our own, right? WRONG. Fenn's descriptions using her other senses as well as the other character's verbal descriptions help to establish exactly how Fenn's world looks.

And onto Peree. 
Several thoughts: he remains awesome. He and Fenn are perfect for each other. And if I ever have to gush over how cute a fictional relationship, I would chose this one. =D 
Enough said. 

And have I mentioned the extreme epicness of EVERY single other character on this book? (Yes, even the evil ones!) 

And the ending..... Does no one realize that the next book doesn't come out to 2014? Fact it says it right on one of the last pages where it lists off the information. (Don't worry it does give a small summary for the next book.... I know what I'll be repeatedly reading until then!) And the ending was insane. At first I was like awwww, this is so cute. I needed to run around my house doing fangirly screams. (Note: This idea would not have been good.... I was finishing it up at like one in the morning.... Grumpy family from lack of sleep=not good) But then I continued to read and in the last couple of pages.... I couldn't even function enough to stand up, let alone run around screaming. That ending was killer and I mean it in a OMG I totally respect this author for her magnificent ideas and ability to stun me killer. (I was so not expecting any of that!!) and then the summary of the next one just threw me for a loop. It also made me want to cry.. Just a bit anyways! Why are authors so cruel but at the same time so amazing? Life should not work this way! 

And lets take a moment to hush over the cover. It is so pretty is it not? And it really fits with the series! Although personally I don't think that anything will be able to outdo the first cover (or book for that matter!) 

Hmmm..... What else should I say... 
Well if you liked The Scourge prepare to love this just as much!!! Ummm... Have I mentioned how heart breaking this is??? Seriously.....My heart=completely broken.

Somehow A.G. Henley was able to artfully continue Fenn's journey to saving her people with ease that not many other authors could manage to do. I must impress upon you how truly AMAZING this book was! So claps for the author for managing to wow me to such an extreme level! So I guess what I'm really trying to say is that without a doubt, The Defiance is a (very) worthy follow up to one of my all time favorite books!

YOUR MISSION

Moving on..... So wait, do I hear a voice in the crowd? Is someone telling me that they have yet to read The Scourge? *Gasp* whoever you may be, I am shocked, I am dismayed, I am thoroughly disgusted with you....(kidding...not really) 

BUT, lucky for you The Scourge is on sale for the low low price of 99 cents. *Grins evilly* So I believe you have, but one option, GO BUY IT!! And while you're at it, you might want to go pick up The Keeper for the same low price. And if you didn't know, The Keeper is a short novella told from Peree's POV describing the events that occurred at the beginning of The Scourge!

In case you're more likely to cave into my peer pressure than my skills of persuasion, I'll leave you on this note with the mantra
DO IT AND YOU'RE COOL
Repeating in your head.
(Man, I am a really good salesperson.....not)

SO My merry friend go off in the the brilliant darkness to buy these books!!!

WAIT ONE MORE THING!
Do me a favor and if you have read this book, TALK TO ME!! I really need a person to share in my heartbreak, PLEASE!! I AM BEGGING YOU!!!



Yet another NOTE: There were no eardrums harmed in the making of this review or the reading of the book. But my own heart was shattered several times. I will update you on my road to healing as the day progresses....


WOULD I BUY THIS BOOK: YES!!! Is there even another possible answer?
WOULD I READ THIS BOOK: I REPEAT: There is no way I could restrain myself from reading this!
WOULD I RECOMMEND THIS BOOK: YES, YES, YES!!!! It shall take the world by storm!!!
WILL I READ MORE BY THIS AUTHOR: YEP!!!!
WILL I READ THE NEXT BOOK: I have already begun stalking A.G. Henley's blog.....**cackles evilly to self**

OWL=FIVE STARS!!!!!

Have I mentioned I love this book???

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you leave a comment, about anything really, you will make my day, maybe even my week if it's a really great comment! =D Anyhow I will try to respond and if you have a blog, leave me the link! I would love to check it out!!