Sunday, October 20, 2013

Ethereal Fury: Gemini Rising #1: Review


Title: Ethereal Fury
Author: Jessica O'Gorek
Genre: YA Paranormal Romance, Sci-Fi
Series: Gemini Rising #1
Rating: Whale

THE PREMISE

Angry at the human race and its methodical destruction of her resources, Mother Earth recruits souls who have just left their bodies to serve Her, and turns them against humanity. A powerful, rising force proceeds to carry out Mother Nature’s plan to systematically destroy towns, cities, states… and eventually, the world. Amidst the chaos, a forbidden relationship between a human girl, Violette, and Onyx, a lead Gemini, begins. They will both find themselves in the middle of a revolutionary war that will either save, or destroy our world.




MY THOUGHTS
Without a doubt Gemini Rising was a unique read. I can seriously say that I don't think I've read anything else quite like it. 
The good thing was that yes, it may have been incredibly unique, but it was also pretty enjoyable. 
I a first had a very hard time attempting to settle in with the writing style. Some of it just find seem to flow together. And truthfully I think that for me, it was one of my biggest problems with the book. The style seemed somewhat as if it was talking down to me. As if it was trying to explain everything that was taking place like I was a little kid. After a while I did get over it, and I was able to ignore it for the most part, but I definitely struggled with that aspect of the book. 

The only other negative thing for me was the complete confusion I suffered in the beginning. While it did feel like the author was trying to explain it to the reader there was just so much going on. Within the first couple of chapters someone died got brought back to life in a way, another person was stabbed, an old man was feeling annoyed and then fatherly towards a girl (who was a main character, Violette) and then there was Mother Earth and they were above Earth and below Earth. They were just everywhere all the time. 

Can you understand my confusion? Like the writing style though I was able to get by it and I did begin to really enjoy AND understand the story. 

One of m favorite things about the book was Mother Earth! I love how she was an actual sentient being. Instead of being something that people just referred to as Mother Earth she was REAL! This was an IDE. That really proves the uniqueness of this book! 

Another great part of the book were the Gemini. These Gemini are celestial beings who can take over the bodies of humans. Sighing the first two chapters already it's easy to tell exactly how Mother Earth and the Gemini feel about humans! I LOVED this aspect! 

On to the characters. 

So these characters are without a doubt interesting.... But I did have some major problems with them. Truthfully I though the Onyx and Violette's relationship was kind of weird.... But then again it might just be me. I just had the hardest time getting over the fact that originally Onyx was a middle age guy who died and was brought back to life and Violette who is waaayyyy younger. (The guy was middle age when he died and then it's now years after that.... So in spirit he's pretty old....) I really was just a little bit weirded out. 

Beyond that the characters were fantastic!  They were unique and really helped to make the book! 

So with that I would give this book three and a half stars! I thought it was a really interesting book and I can't wait to see what else the author has in store and also if there will be much improvement between this book and the next! 

WHALE=THREE AND A HALF STARS
 I was born in Chesapeake, Virginia on April 19th, 1979. I was raised within the American Indian religion and was taught great respect for the earth and all its living beings. Powwows, sweat lodges, vision quests, you name it, I’ve done it. I was the weird kid who would confront kids on the playground in elementary school when they squished a bug. I would very sincerely tell them what they were doing was morally wrong and then I would pray for the bug to come back as a butterfly in its next life.

​I grew up admiring my father, Barry Weinstock, as an author. He took me around the country to different places so he could research and write his Wilderness Survival books. One of his greatest works, “The Path of Power,” was written with a great medicine man, Sunbear. When I was twelve I started
hand writing novels. My first one was two thousand pages. My dad always encouraged me and would rave about my writing. He gave me the confidence I needed to keep writing and follow my dream. My daughter, who is twelve, is currently working on her first novel. I hope to continue the legacy.

Website: http://1geminirising.wix.com/geminirising                                
Twitter: https://twitter.com/GeminiRising1                                                                       
Blog: http://geminirising1.blogspot.com                                                           

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you leave a comment, about anything really, you will make my day, maybe even my week if it's a really great comment! =D Anyhow I will try to respond and if you have a blog, leave me the link! I would love to check it out!!