Thursday, October 31, 2013

Rush

Rush (The Game, #1)
Title: Rush
Author: Eve Silver
Series: The Game #1
Genre: YA, Sci-Fi, Romance, Fantasy, Adventure, Action
Rating: Horse

THE PREMISE
So what’s the game now? This, or the life I used to know?

When Miki Jones is pulled from her life, pulled through time and space into some kind of game—her carefully controlled life spirals into chaos. In the game, she and a team of other teens are sent on missions to eliminate the Drau, terrifying and beautiful alien creatures. There are no practice runs, no training, and no way out. Miki has only the guidance of secretive but maddeningly attractive team leader Jackson Tate, who says the game isn’t really a game, that what Miki and her new teammates do now determines their survival, and the survival of every other person on this planet. She laughs. He doesn’t. And then the game takes a deadly and terrifying turn.

MY THOUGHTS
I went into Rush knowing absolutely NOTHING about it... Literally, I didn't even know the main characters name.

Yeah.... I am very good at totally avoiding things...

So when I realized there were aliens I was really surprised. Truthfully I was beyond surprised. I was shocked. But at the same time I was SUPER happy! I mean come on, I LOVE ALIENS!

That's the thing though, I love everything about aliens.... when I know lots about them.
I'm going to put it out there, I think the unknown is super interesting, but at the same time it can without a doubt be scary! (Come on, you can admit it. Thinking that you are smaller than a speck of dust in the Universe is pretty freaky... and then let's not get started on multiverses and the edge of the universe and all that.)
And the book explained A LOT about the aliens to me.
So book, I appreciate that, but that's kind of the high point of you.

After reading the WHOLE book, WHAT IS THE FREAKING POINT OF THE GAME?
I GET IT TO KILL ALIENS, GREAT!
How do you work?
How do you function?

I DON'T FREAKING UNDERSTAND!!

How are they transported to fight these aliens?
Why are they using points???
WHY NOT JUST LET EVERYONE LIVE????

I don't know, OKAY?
Maybe it was the authors intention to leave me with more questions than answers. Because if it was then she can check that off her list. I know there's going to be another book (maybe even a book after that) but I just feel so, so....

I DON'T EVEN KNOW THE WORD FOR WHAT I FEEL!!!!!

It just felt SO POINTLESS!

There were so many opportunities to slip in some information, BUT INSTEAD I WAS CONFUSED FOR HALF THE BOOK AND THEN EVEN MORE SO IN THE SECOND HALF!

GAH!

Okay, I am taking a deep breath now.

Moving on.

ANOTHER PROBLEM
Darn this problem is a spoiler, but the need to vent wins out. Below if you don't care about spoilers or have already read the book highlight the black.

So both Miki and Jackson are descended from aliens.... Why do they both have SUCH strong genes? THe chances of that actually happening are one in a million! I just feel like the author did that because they felt forced to. As if there was no other option that forced the main characters together!

Yeah.... you see the problem?

Next problem.
After reading this WHOLE book, beginning to end, I still don't understand hoe the people are picked for the game or how on Earth they bump out of their "reality" and into something else... I seriously don't understand the whole time-lapsy thing either. Is this just me? I mean I've always been really good in science, but I just couldn't wrap my brain around that whole aspect! (So if someone could explain it to me, I'd really appreciate it!)

AND ANOTHER PROBLEM!
Insta-love.
I'm not going to say who Miki ends up with or rather who she declares her undying love for. (Even though I thought it was pretty obvious!) At the end they literally declared their love for each other and I just wasn't feeling it! I got that hey MAYBE they were in the beginning stages of like, BUT LOVE? Ummmm.... Nopeity nope, nope, nope!

Okay enough of that aggravation! Let me talk about some of the stuff I liked!

Rush was set in Rochester, New York! Which is fantastic! I feel like so many places in New York are completely ignored, purely because of the all powerful New York City found in the southern part of the great state.
For me personally, I will always prefer hearing about upstate NY far more than I will about NYC.... Although that may just be because I live further upstate. (Seriously though, if I tell people (especially book bloggers) that I'm from NY in general, they always assume NYC.... There are OTHER places in NY TOO, ya know!)

I also really liked Miki! She was a strong character, that really was believable! There weren't many parts where I thought that what she was doing or thinking was something beyond what a teenager would do or think! I also LOVED that Miki was a runner and she was shown as a believable runner! She talks about the feeling of running and kind of what it means to her and truthfully I could totally get what she was saying! That whole part felt REAL and something I could agree with. Some days she just didn't want to run, but then she had those days where she just needed to.

"I know what he's feeling: endorphins racing through him. Runner's high. Crack of dawn five days a week I'm there, in my zone, alone with my music and the rush I get as my feet slap the ground."
To me that quote describes running so well! so mega props to the author for that!

I didn't really like her friends at all, but I think that a lot of people do have friends like them, so I definitely got why the author portrayed her friends as such! (I mean, I know I definitely have friends like the ones she has!) They were a little bit BOY CRAZY though.... which really got annoying! (Thankfully they didn't seem to be around too much!)

Can I just say that this book had the most FANTASTIC ALIENS! I kid you not!
Reasons:
1.) THEY DIDN'T LOOK HUMAN! Just thank you so much for this! When we finally meet alien lifeforms and if they look like us I WILL BE BLOWN AWAY! There is no way that we could evolve the same way as other species.... It's practically impossible. While I respect authors that do portray aliens as humans, it's nice to see an author take a different approach.
2.) THEY WEREN'T SUPERIOR! So many times aliens are shown to be far superior in all ways than us. Which seems impractical. So while the aliens had better technology the other aspects about them were different! (Like they didn't learn from their mistakes!)
3.) The aliens had a way to blend in! I loved how the author talked about the differences in appearance but gave a way for them to blend into society! I could totally imagine this happening!

I was in all extremely satisfied with how the aliens were shown!

Last but not least, the end went out with a bang! I was expecting it, yet I was still impressed with how the author chose to leave it at such an interesting cliffhanger!

IN A NUTSHELL
Many aspects of this novel were extremely weak and lacked the full explanations I needed to better understand what is happening. While I did enjoy the book and plan to read the next one, I really wish that the game was a bit more fleshed out. I really enjoyed the aliens in the book! Not only were they unique, they had interesting motivations and helped to separate Rush from the other alien books I've come across! There was a lot about this book that needed work, but I found it to be enjoyable, entertaining, and distracting! I would give this book three stars and I definitely can't wait to see what the author does with the next one!


HORSE=THREE STARS

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you leave a comment, about anything really, you will make my day, maybe even my week if it's a really great comment! =D Anyhow I will try to respond and if you have a blog, leave me the link! I would love to check it out!!