Thursday, November 14, 2013

Doon: Review

Doon (Doon, #1)Title: Doon
Author: Carey Corp and Lorie Langdon
Series: Doon #1
Genre: YA, Romance, Fantasy, Retellings
Rating: Starfish

THE PREMISE
DOON…

Veronica doesn't think she's going crazy. But why can't anyone else see the mysterious blond boy who keeps popping up wherever she goes? When her best friend, Mackenna, invites her to spend the summer in Scotland, Veronica jumps at the opportunity to leave her complicated life behind for a few months.

But the Scottish countryside holds other plans.

Not only has the imaginary kilted boy followed her to Alloway, she and Mackenna uncover a strange set of rings and a very unnerving letter from Mackenna's great aunt—and when the girls test the instructions Aunt Gracie left behind, they find themselves transported to a land that defies explanation. Doon seems like a real-life fairy tale, complete with one prince who has eyes for Mackenna and another who looks suspiciously like the boy from Veronica's daydreams. But Doon has a dark underbelly as well. The two girls could have everything they've longed for...or they could end up breaking an enchantment and find themselves trapped in a world that has become a nightmare.

DOON is loosely based on the premise of the musical Brigadoon, with permission from the ALan Jay Lerner Estate and the Frederick Loewe Foundation. Follow the journey at http://www.DoonSeries.com

~Destiny awaits!

(Summary form Goodreads) 

MY THOUGHTS
What really captured my attention with this book was the fantastic idea. I mean who doesn't want to read about a fantasy world set within our own IN SCOTLAND? Okay more importantly who doesn't want to read a book set IN SCOTLAND?

And to say I was excited about this book was an understatement....but sadly this book just didn't live up to my expectations.

MY PROBLEMS
1.) The book alternates between two points of view, MacKenna and Veronica, the two main female characters. And personally I COULD NOT tell the difference between the two points of view. Truthfully if there had not been the names at the top of each POV change I would have been beyond confused.
What makes it worse is the fact that I think the characters were each written by a different author and I couldn't even distinguish the styles of each...
Wait I lied I could totally tell the two apart as long as one of the prince guys were around because then they were fawning over one  or the over....

2.) Have I ever expressed my dislike for characters who sleep a lot or who in general like talking about sleep? Well I felt like many of the characters enjoyed sleeping and when that happens me=bored. MacKenna really liked to call Vee Sleeping Beauty too....

3.) Perhaps that biggest problem I had with this book was the idea of beauty.
Here's what you need to know:
Vee thinks that she is ugly, but Mackenna is GORGEOUS
Mackenna thinks she is ugly, Vee is BEAUTIFUL.
Do you see where I'm going with this?
Also they really enjoy complimenting each other and drawing attention to the others features.

"More than fine-she was flawless, even asleep.Dark sleek hair framed her heart-shaped face. Black, fluttery lashes-the kind you only see in mascara ads-daintily rested against the  the curve of her cheeks. Vee was petite, too, with porcelain skin. Stuff all that into a size-too-small cheer skirt and she was a teen dream. She practically screamed popularity, while I was an ex-goth, theater geek Amazon voted most likely to have ketchup on my boobs, But I guess that's what made the friendship unbreakable-counterbalance, not ketchup."~Mackenna
"Vee's eyelids fluttered open to reveal her confused, yet brilliantly dazzling, turquoise eyes.
She bolted to her feet, brushing silken strands of dark hair away from her face. How did she get it to look so shiny? Even in the midst of night terrors, she still looked like she'd stepped off the cover of Teen Vogue. I on the other hand, was in jeopardy of being mistaken for an iconic hamburger clown."~MacKenna
(Note this was found ALL in ONE chapter within just a few pages... BUT there are MANY more examples.)
"Her {speaking about MacKenna} figure was perfectly suited for the moss-green, fitted bodice and the plaid skirt were identical to mine. She looked curvy in all the right places. Me, on the other hand-not so much."~Veronica

So my biggest problem was how they were CONSTANTLY putting themselves down. Also how is it possible to look good at all times of the day? Even when you're having AWFUL nightmares... Maybe this is just me, but I totally can't relate to characters like this. I mean, I'm not ugly, but looking good all the time.... yeah that would be pretty unusual for me...

I also hate the fact that MacKenna thought they had a strong friendship because they were complete opposites in the beauty department. Because that's the grounds for a good friendship? Right now I am completely mindblown.... I don't know about you guys, but personally I value having friends who are equal to me... I mean sure they're going to be better at things and I'll be better at things then them, but I would prefer to not feel like I had to put myself down because they are oh so much better than me....

Moving on now...

4.) After reading this book I would prefer to not read anymore Dinnas or verras..... This book had some annoying writing when the authors were trying to write in a Scottish accent.... It felt so weird...
Also the fact that Veronica was always being called Verranica, annoyed me.... If people get my name completely wrong, yeah, I'm probably going to correct them. (And if I don't correct them someone else will... My classmates love telling the substitutes that they pronounce my name completely wrong,..)   Also she was only called Verranica by ONE person.... so I feel like it wasn't really an accent thing... It was just something that annoyed me...

5.) First Mackenna was Mackenna then she was Kenna and then she was Ken. When they first called her Ken I was so confused! I couldn't figure out WHO that was... Then I realized that it was actually Kenna. Pick a name and stick with it!

6.) The love interests... So there were to princes and two girls. Kenna liked Prince Duncan and Vee like Prince Jamie. Prince Jamie was annoying and extremely confusing and also a pretty big idiot who I really didn't like. Prince Duncan was a sexist idiot, who guess what! I ALSO DIDN'T LIKE! Fun isn't it? This whole book was full of oh I like you, but you hate me. Oh, now we can't be together even though we've finally fallen in deep, deep love. Oh wait, NOW I HATE YOU. Now you're teasing me. We LIKE each other again! Strike that, In TWO weeks we are deeply in love!That is my summary of the book....

7.) Vee clearly has jaw problem and should consider seeing a dentist or doctor.
"Pain shot up my jaw and I unclenched my teeth."
I don't know, but for me this doesn't happen and I LOVE clenching my teeth. She seems to do this a lot unconsciously (This really didn't happen only once... it was reoccurring...) Maybe she has jaw problems. (Note: Clenching teeth is is sign of stress.. what does this indicate?)

8.) Wasn't Kenna's dad worried when he hadn't heard from her? It's not like she could call him and they seemed kind of close...

9.) Okay so I admit the main focus of the book was Vee, EVEN though Kenna had a partial POV. But really I would have preferred this to have a nice solid ending. Instead there will be another book involving Kenna and her problems... and if there is another book after that, then I'm just done...
But I guess Kenna's story sounds interesting, so maybe I'll check it out.


The things I liked:
1.) The whole fantasy aspect was pretty interesting. I liked how there was another world set within our own. I liked how the portal only opens every 100 years in our world. I LOVED how cultural diffusion was brought in as an important aspect in the progress of Doon.

2.) The before the ending part, was fantastic! I have to admit I did NOT see the bad guy coming AT ALL! And the whole show down was pretty epic! I didn't really expect any of it to play out the way that it did! I was without a doubt pretty impressed!

3.) The characters liked food, which in my book makes me like them a BIT more.

So Basically:
I didn't really enjoy Doon. I thought that the love interests were kind of creepy and were really hot and cold throughout the entire book. Vee and Kenna had no self-confidence and always thought that the other was better, yet they never really tried voicing their thoughts about what they thought about each other. The ending was action packed and fast paced, yet managed to lose momentum AND my interest when the authors left it at a bit of a cliffhanger. I would probably not recommend this book to many. Yes the idea was fascinating, but the execution of it all was really lacking. With any luck the authors might be able to redeem themselves in the next book as they having a good set up, yet I'm not sure I'm going to stick around for it.

WOULD I BUY THIS BOOK: NO
WOULD I READ THIS BOOK: PROBABLY NOT
WOULD I RECOMMEND IT: NO
WILL I READ THE NEXT BOOK: Maybe, I'm really on the fence about this.
WILL I READ MORE BY THE AUTHORS: Yes. I didn't have many problems with their writing styles and maybe writing separately would make them better.


STARFISH=TWO STARS

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I'm sad you didn't like this book, as it sounded really good! :( I mean, Scotland sounds like it would be such a great setting for a book! I may try it eventually, though, since there are SOME good things about the book. Though, a lot of the things that annoyed you about this book sound like they are the things that would annoy me too. Hmm, maybe I'll eventually try it.

    ReplyDelete

If you leave a comment, about anything really, you will make my day, maybe even my week if it's a really great comment! =D Anyhow I will try to respond and if you have a blog, leave me the link! I would love to check it out!!