Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Mutilate My Heart: Review

Displaying MMH banner.jpg
Displaying MMH-KindleCover.jpgTitle: Mutilate My Heart
Author: Emily Godwin
Genre: YA, Romance, Paranormal
Series: Mutilated #1
Rating: Owl

THE PREMISE
Punk rock band Mutilated Arteries has been seventeen-year-old Becca's world (aka obsession) for the last year. When the band schedules a concert in her hometown, she and her best friend Carli are the first ones in line to buy tickets. The night is everything she expects it to be and more, especially after making friends with the new super-cute bassist, Sketch.

Becca's mom warns her not to fall for a rock star because rock stars are always on the road - or they die in a plane crash, like her mom's favorite band did twenty-something years ago. But after the band's tour bus breaks down and they're stuck hanging out in Roizen Hills for a week, it's hard for Becca not to fall for Sketch and his caricature drawings and toxic green eyes.

Becca knows Sketch is leaving as soon as the bus is fixed, and she can't be his fan-turned-girlfriend anyway because of the lead singer's "No Girlfriends" rule. Plus, there's something strange about the guys that Becca can't quite decipher... like how they won't reveal their real names, their always-changing odd appearances, and the guitarist's obsession with blood and zombies. Still, Becca wants nothing more than for Sketch to mutilate her heart...but it just might not be in a way she expects.



MY THOUGHTS

I think one of the things that really pulled me into reading this book, was the relationship this author has with her sister. Her sister wrote two books that I absolutely adore, A Girl on Saturn and Chasing Forever Down, and during the course of reading A Girl on Saturn, the author had included several shout outs to the band featured in this book, which really got me curious. So when I had the chance, I decided to go with it and immediately dove into the book.

I'm happy to say I have no regrets.

This book had the perfect mix of a sweet romance, distinctive and memorable characters, and a mystery that really kept you guessing. And I LOVED it!

Emily Godwin has crafted an amazing romance with some of the best aspects of the more, how should I put it, paranormal world... I don't want to give any spoilers!

Another thing that I loved is that the author had a very distinct voice. It really fit so well with the novel and made me love the book even more. What she chose to do and the twists she chose to take kept me guessing and truthfully I can't wait for the next book. I feel like there is so much promise with this series, and if it keeps going at the way it is I have high hopes that it could turn out to be one of my favorite series!

I also really liked Becca and Carli's relationship. They had a great bond of friendship which is great to see in young adult! Plus on top of this awesomeness, I just want to bring up how the cover actually connected to the book! To me being able to discover why the cover looks the way it does is a big achievement and it was no different in this book! There was a section that made me write down, "OH! Now I understand the cover!" And since I don't want to spoil it for you, you should definitely read the book to find out why it fits!

One last comment: The character names were fantastic! The band members all had these great names, that really kept me laughing especially towards the end!

I have nothing bad to say about this book, at all! The story is super sweet and so much fun to read! I flew through it! I would not hesitate to recommend this book to readers looking for a light, sweet romance, with an epic twist! At any rate there is no doubt in my mind that February is WAY to far away! I don't want to wait that long!

On a completely different note, on a matter that in no way effected my review, I just wanted to say how awesome it is that their were mentions of Spaceships around Saturn scattered throughout the book! It is so cool to see the support between two amazing authors and the fact that they care so much about each others work! Coming across those references made me laugh! And I really feel like it added even more background to the book!

Purchase links: Amazon | B&N



OWL=FIVE STARS






Emily Godwin is a Young Adult author. She enjoys writing, painting, and sewing her own line of non-evil voodoo dolls. She's a Slytherin, trying to disguise herself as a Hufflepuff, and wishes she could read herself into books.

 
a Rafflecopter giveaway

or here's the link!

HERE

2 comments:

  1. Hey Cal! Thank you so much for participating in MMH's blog tour! I'm so glad you loved the book! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU for writing a fantastic book! I had so much fun reading it!

      Delete

If you leave a comment, about anything really, you will make my day, maybe even my week if it's a really great comment! =D Anyhow I will try to respond and if you have a blog, leave me the link! I would love to check it out!!