Friday, December 6, 2013

The Elite: There was so much potential

The Elite (The Selection, #2)Title: The Elite
Author: Kiera Cass
Genre: YA, Dystopia, Romance
Series: The Selection #2
Rating: Starfish

THE PREMISE
The hotly-anticipated sequel to the New York Times bestseller The Selection.

Thirty-five girls came to the palace to compete in the Selection. All but six have been sent home. And only one will get to marry Prince Maxon and be crowned princess of Illea.

America still isn’t sure where her heart lies. When she’s with Maxon, she’s swept up in their new and breathless romance, and can’t dream of being with anyone else. But whenever she sees Aspen standing guard around the palace, and is overcome with memories of the life they planned to share. With the group narrowed down to the Elite, the other girls are even more determined to win Maxon over—and time is running out for America to decide.

Just when America is sure she’s made her choice, a devastating loss makes her question everything again. And while she’s struggling to imagine her future, the violent rebels that are determined to overthrow the monarchy are growing stronger and their plans could destroy her chance at any kind of happy ending.

 MY THOUGHTS

My first thought after reading this book:
No human being can be this indecisive.... Can they? 

According to America, people are this way on an almost hourly basis. 

The author clearly knows how to write, that much is clear, but the characters..... There were definitely a few problems I had with them. Shockingly I did enjoy the first book. I din't love it, but I didn't hate it. Yet throughout this book I was a little bit blown away by my complete 180 in my feelings about the series.

What stuck out to me the most was that America is constantly falling into the arms of either Aspen or Maxon and declaring them to be her rock.... The one person who she can always lean on... Seconds later the exact same thing happens... Just with the other guy. 

I kid you not. 

America also has some... How should I put it nicely.... dependency issues. 

To give you an idea of what I mean, imagine this scenario
A parent drops their child off at day care. The child cries and cries thinking that the world is going to end and they will be alone forever. That all the other (pretend all children in this day care are perfectly nice) kids were out to get her....

To me that was America. If she was left alone for even a second, she nearly had a nervous break down. Maxon and Aspen were like the parent she was constantly crying for them... 

Do you see some of my problem with this book, yet? 

There was this one point in the book I was so sure that maybe something exciting would happen. Maybe she would be captured by the  rebels or maybe she would fall down a dark hole and realize that in order to make her country better she would have to start a revolution.... Instead the guards managed to find her (hugging a tree of course) and they carried her to safety..... Literally. 

I was so not happy. 

Now about that "handsome, loving, 100% AMAZING"  Maxon..... I don't like him. 

I mean I didn't hate him, but jeez for the life of me I can't see whatever America sees in him. 

There was this point where he did something very mean to America.... Instead of having a semi rational explanation he rambles on about who knows what (seriously who knows? I think I skimmed that part...) and then the author pulls out the dreaded sympathy ploy....yeah you know the one perfectly designed to get readers everywhere sobbing for the character. Telling him to be strong and that it's not his fault.... I've read books where the sympathy ploy is pulled off to perfection! (Crash by Lisa McMann!!! I love that book! *sigh*) in this book I just wanted to rip my hair out in my extreme state of annoyance. 

Grrrrr.....

And Aspen was no better.... He was getting a little blood thirsty sounding... Perhaps a bit power hungry? I felt like he was also absent for a lot of the book.... Not that it really mattered because be was always there when America needed to fall into his arms and declare her love and use him as a stabilizer only to minutes later feel wrong about it and love Maxon. 

So here's what I'm saying:
This book is based on the romance. There was no where's near enough world building or plot or anything to keep the story afloat. Take out the love interests and what do you get? A very needy, very self centered girl. And a couple of other self centered brats.... 

So with that I would like to declare my team. (You know those teams picking which love interest they like?) 

I declare my allegiance to team America. I say that the author kills off Maxon and then Aspen joins the rebels (whoever these rebels may be...) and then America learns to fight and kicks some serious rebel butts. Or maybe she joins with them to overthrow the (evil) monarchy and set up a democracy.... What are the chances of this?

My calculations say slim to none. 

I figured. 

But still I shall wave my flag for team America!! *picture me waving a flag* 

Wait did I mention the near to the end part? (No spoilers! Don't worry!) 

So this is another moment where I was feeling so proud of America. And then she failed me again!  *sheds tear in a very unladylike manner*  (this book also claimed at one section that shedding a tear was unladylike...darn... guess I'm not a good lady then... Crying can help me to relieve stress!) she put loads of effort into this big project. She felt so proud. And then the king asks her how she will carry it out.... Guess how she responds! Seriously guess. 

"Oh... I don't know." 

Congratulations America for being so stupid. She clearly deserves a reward. 

Okay. Enough complaints. Good things now. 

I did enjoy the bit of world building that was done! (Shocking I know.) the diaries were a very nice touch and learning about America's country's formation was very interesting. 

I liked America's dad and thought he was a great addition into the story. He was also one of the only characters I liked. 

I also liked Marlee. She was very strong in this book. 
.
.
.
.
Yeah.... That's about it. 

My main problem was the main characters and their stupidity. Also the romance. (I'm still all for the kill off the love interests approach.) 

This book had some great potential but it was killed by love triangle and the needy lead.

So my recommendation is that this book isn't worth your time. 

WOULD I READ THIS BOOK: HIGHLY UNLIKELY
WOULD I BUY THIS BOOK: NOPE
WOULD I RECOMMEND THIS BOOK: NOOOOO
WILL I READ THE NEXT ONE: I'LL PROBABLY END UP ENSNARED IN ITS GOOD BLURB AND PRETTY COVER.
WILL I READ MORE BY THIS AUTHOR: MAYBE, I LIKE HER STYLE. 

STARFISH=TWO STARS

2 comments:

  1. We have the same thoughts about The Elite! I actually did a video of me reviewing this one and GAH, the sheer foolishness of America makes me cry.

    P.S. Here's my video review, if you want to check it out! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMPKuONsviU

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH! Definitely going to check it out! And I've heard so many people saying they LOVED this book so I was so surprised! Definitely not a big fan! And glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks this way!

      Delete

If you leave a comment, about anything really, you will make my day, maybe even my week if it's a really great comment! =D Anyhow I will try to respond and if you have a blog, leave me the link! I would love to check it out!!