Friday, February 21, 2014

Did I read it wrong?

My question today for you all, is have you ever read a book and completely hated it. You found flaws EVERYWHERE and it you have actual textual evidence to support why you despised the book SO MUCH! But then you look on Amazon and you see 132 five star reviews, 25 four star reviews, 4 three star reviews, 1 two star review, and 1 one star review. And WAIT FOR IT....

The one star review was just a review about the injustices of kindle books and how they couldn't lend the ebook to other people.....

Well, right now this happened to me. I read this book that shall currently remain unnamed, and I completely hated it. I had so many issues with it and I have so many sections highlighted and notated with problems I found in the book.
So my question is DID I READ THE BOOK WRONG?

I mean 132/163 reviews ADORED it on AMAZON! How is that possible. So then I headed over to Goodreads to see if maybe the reviews over there were more on my side. 1202 people gave it five stars, 656 people gave it 4 stars, 282 people gave it 3 stars, 52 gave it 2 stars, and EIGHT PEOPLE gave it one star (One of which was me...)

My first response was a snort. Because it had to be a mistake, right? But then I started reading reviews. Some of my favorite authors LOVED it. The reviews for it were positively glowing. EVERYONE, but me loved it. And at first I just couldn't understand why.

For the most part I'm a pretty favorable reviewer. I didn't feel out to get the book, I actually for the most part enjoyed the first one. (There were major flaws, but I gave it a solid three stars) And then this happened.

I am the black sheep of this book. I have to say I'm a bit surprised. This is definitely a new... shall we say experience for me.

My second reaction for this entire experience was: Did I read the book wrong? How can this really be possible?

The truth is I still have no clue how this happened. Even as I reread sections of the book while writing my review, I found that extreme dislike I had for it again and again.  I tried and I tried to look at it with fresh eye, but all I could see were the obvious flaws.

Like FOXGLOVE is poisonous, not a tea that will instantly heal you.
Or the incredibly high pain tolerance of this chick. If I broke and bruised a few ribs and then pulled a muscle or something (can't remember quite what) in my thigh, you would see me on the ground, screaming in pain, not scaling walls and killing (or should I say trying to kill) people like a boss.
Or the blatant trashing of agnostics and atheists.

Yeah... that all plus a lot more.

And I'm not saying that I can't understand why people DO like this book, because if I could overlook some of this I think I might find it a bit more enjoyable, It's the fact that NO ONE else sees it my way. This book has been out for about three years, and yet no one has written a review that even remotely agrees with my opinion. (The one two star Amazon reviewer did comment on the high pain tolerance though...)

I guess that this post was more of a rant post. It's been a few months since I actually read the book, but today I was going over some old draft posts and saw my review. (Which is a whopping 3,000 words) I never posted the review just because I hate being the back sheep. I don't like being wrong. And somehow it just kind of scares me that my views were SO DIFFERENT then everyone else's. (I also mentioned some issues with the bashing of people who don't believe in G*d, and I didn't want to get any hate about that part....)

So have any of you read a book and been the black sheep? 

5 comments:

  1. Ugh, yes. And I don't get it. I mean, how come I'm the only one who sees this? It makes me feel really weird and I avoid stating my opinion on the book at all costs. It's just really weird and uncomfortable. You definitely didn't read it wrong and you're entitled to this opinion. I've wondered the same and almost tried rereading some books, but no. I didn't read it wrong. It just wasn't for me apparently. And that's okay.
    -Kelsey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was my exact thought process... I am really scared to post my review just because I don't want to be that odd one out, BUT I'm dying to express my opinion. Yeah.. It took me a while to i=kind of hit the point where I just accepted that I was the only one to hate the book! Lol!
      Thanks for the lovely comment!

      Delete
  2. Whenever this happens I have to feel like it is author spam or something! I normally am right on with reviews on what the general populous thinks. Were the reviews on Goodreads like Amazon? I barely look at Amazon because I feel like there are tons of fake reviews
    Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree! I can't really name any books, but I have definitely read many where I was surprised and mad about the lack of research there was for the books. And then, nobody else sees it. I will say, though, that I might not have picked up on the stuff that you mentioned, so I might have been among those people who gave it a high rating, but I have definitely been the black sheep to a book before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have I ever! I really disliked the end of Boundless by Cynthia Hand, which everyone else seemed to like, I HATED Lori by L. Diane. Wolfe. That one has a million reviews on Amazon on how amazing it is and none on how the characters are flat and there is no plot. *sigh* A lot of people seem to like the Hush, Hush series and both my mom and I hated it! Oh! I almost forgot. While I love the Percy Jackson series, I hated both The Mark of Athena and The House of Hades (it took me 3 1/2 months to read it). So many people loved them, but I simply couldn't do it. There's a series ender out there somewhere that I hated and everyone , but I can't remember what it was for the life of me!

    ReplyDelete

If you leave a comment, about anything really, you will make my day, maybe even my week if it's a really great comment! =D Anyhow I will try to respond and if you have a blog, leave me the link! I would love to check it out!!